RE: MD New Level of Thinking

From: Scott Roberts (jse885@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Nov 26 2004 - 16:18:48 GMT

    Platt,

    > You speak of thinking "in new ways" and a "new level of thinking" that
    > uses the "logic of contradictory identity" that can answer the question
    > "what am I."
    >
    > I'm curious. Can you give us a couple of concrete examples of this "new
    > thinking" by writing a paragraph or two in "new thought" to illustrate
    it?

    It is not so much writing a paragraph or two in "new thought", but having a
    different intellectual attitude to the old paradoxes. For example, DMB has
    quoted Sri Ramana Maharshi a couple of times:

    The world is illusory;
    Brahman alone is real;
    Brahman is the world.

    In ordinary logic, this is simply self-contradictory. In the logic of
    contradictory identity, it is accepted as "the way it is". Buddhism is
    known as the Middle Way. Originally, this referred to avoiding the
    lifestyle extremes of hedonism (pursuit of the transitory things of the
    world) and ascetism (rejection of those things). With Nagarjuna, it also
    became applied to avoiding either pole of an apparent paradox, but to learn
    to see the two poles as necessarily in mutual contradiction, while being
    mutually constituting. So, in considering the self, when one thinks of the
    self as being a continuous, existing thing, to offset this with the
    realization that I am not the same person today that I was yesterday, while
    when one thinks that I am not the same person today that I was yesterday,
    to point out that I am *aware* of the change, so there is a continuity
    between yesterday's self and today's. Hence, the continuity points to
    saying "the self exists", while the change points to saying "the self does
    not exist", and so one says neither. Furthermore, the awareness of change
    presupposes the continuity, while if there were nochange to be aware of,
    there would be no awareness of continuity. This implies that awareness *is*
    this interplay of continuity and change, and that the interplay of
    continuity and change *is* what makes awareness happen. Thus, the step
    toward thinking in terms of contradictory identity is that of going from
    just treating the self as paradox to treating the self as a locus of
    contradictory identity. Or, contradictory identity is not just a way to
    think about the self, rather, contradictory identity is what makes the self
    happen.

    One can apply the same logic to DQ and SQ, but if one does, one gets
    something different from the treatment of these as given in the MOQ. The
    MOQ tends to idolize DQ at the expense of SQ, for example by assuming that
    the mystical goal is to experience pure DQ by putting all SQ to sleep. But
    the logic of contradictory identity will see that as going off the Middle
    Way. DQ and SQ are contradictory identities, so it makes no sense to speak
    of "pure [DQ] experience" which is then SQ-ized by intellect. Rather, DQ/SQ
    interaction is what makes experience happen.

    - Scott