RE: MD People and Value in the MOQ

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sun Nov 28 2004 - 03:43:17 GMT

    -----Original Message-----
    From: PhaedrusWolf
    I read your reply twice, and found nothing to argue with. May I ask where
    exactly, if anywhere, Pirsig takes a stand on this confusing 'Self'? -- more
    so permanent 'Self'

    I am trying, CRS and all, to remember anything that relevantly addresses
    this, and I can't.

    Chin
    [
    [David Buchanan]
    I'm having ttechnical trouble replying to your messages. I don't know
    anything about it, but apparently you have something that could be turned
    off or something like that. Anyway, here are a couple of Pirsigisms from
    Dan's book...

    Lila's Child, Annotation 29:

    "The MOQ, as I understand it, denies any existence of a "self" that is
    independent of inorganic, biological, social or intellectual patterns. There
    is no "self" that contains these patterns. These patterns contain the self.
    This denial agrees with both religious mysticism and scientific knowledge.
    In Zen, there is reference to "big self" and "small self." Small self is the
    patterns. Big self is Dynamic Quality."

    Lila's Child, Annotation 130:

    "The word "I" like the word "self" is one of the trickiest words in any
    metaphysics. Sometimes it is an object, a human body; sometimes it is a
    subject, a human mind. I believe there are number of philosophic systems,
    notably Ayn Rand's "Objectivism," that call the "I" or "individual" the
    central reality. Buddhists say it is an illusion. So do scientists. The MOQ
    says it is a collection of static patterns capable of apprehending Dynamic
    Quality. I think that if you identify the "I" with the intellect and nothing
    else you are taking an unusual position that may need some defending."