Re: MD Is Morality Relative?

From: Ian Glendinning (ian@psybertron.org)
Date: Wed Dec 01 2004 - 19:24:39 GMT

    Who's obfuscating Platt ?

    You said
    "Is it not an absolute that the MOQ supports individual autonomy within the
    constraints of the MOQ framework"
    You're just playing the linguistic game of semantics with "axiomatic
    statements of the pragmatic" again.
    No, the MoQ is not absolute, just the best emergent framework we humans
    currently have - it will evolve like the rest of us - yes, not just the
    biological and higher, but even the hard physical layer, as we learn more
    and more fundamental physics.

    You said
    "Sanctioning what such luminaries as Stalin, Hitler and a host of secular
    tyrants decided was good for humanity."
    Utter garbage and you know it, you scaremonger. What is your game ?

    No way does a relative morality sanction such things.
    Relative to an avoidable road-traffic accident those events are diabolical.
    Relative to one such tyrant who secretly sets up a neigbouring planet with
    his clones and obliterates the earth and all existing known life including
    mankind, then perhaps they are a marginally lesser evil.

    The pont is it's relative.
    The context is the history of the known world to date, as neatly, usefull,
    pragmatically (but not axiomatically) encapsulated in the MoQ. Get a grip,
    or I'll have to quote poetry at you again, because rational argument is
    fruitless.

    I predict your next mail will be smartass remark about my statement
    "The MoQ is not absolute" being axiomatic and absolute.
    Save yourself the effort Platt.

    Ian.