Re: MD Is Morality Relative?

From: Ian Glendinning (ian@psybertron.org)
Date: Fri Dec 03 2004 - 22:54:04 GMT

    Platt, Mark,

    I did in fact say "why" was just a word and we would simply argue its
    semantics, rendering the word useless.

    The uses of the word "why" which I "damn" as intolerable (useless) are those
    teleological ones, deliberately asked from the position, or designed to
    elicit responses, addressing purpose, beyond intentional individuals. Asked
    that way, no matter of (apparent, assumed, proposed) fact "explanation" is
    going to satisfy the question, if the reason does not include "purpose".
    Ipso facto, literal God is the answer, QED. The oldest trick in the book.
    Catch-22 (again).

    Asked the right way "why" (eg by what possible worldly processes does this
    come to be) is a reasonable question.

    Ian.