Re: Re: MD Is Morality Relative?

From: Erin (macavity11@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Dec 04 2004 - 14:39:05 GMT

    It is not that I find what is in the brackets unbelievable or believable. I think they are both unknowns so I like to put it in the uncertain category. For the first one, by putting that in the brackets, I think contextualism and relativism go from kissing cousins to identical twins....well maybe more fraternal twins ---each situation seems like it could be argued as having at least something unique about it due the different individuals, different countries, different times, etc.

    Erin

    Erin:

    wrote:
    > Hi Steve,
    >
    > > What is Moral Absolutism?
    > >
    > > Are there other types of morality?
    >
    > Referring to my Philosophy 101 textbook:
    >
    > Relativism: In ethics, the belief, based on empirical observation, that
    > what is considered to be right and wrong differs from one society to
    > another and one person to another, [implying that there are no universal
    > codes of right and wrong.]
    >
    > Formalism (Absolutism): In ethics, the position that there are universal
    > ethical standards that apply to all men, [often believed to have been
    > revealed by a deity.]
    >
    > Platt, Steve, Ian and all,
    >
    > It seems like you can believe the first part of the definition without
    > necessarily believe in what is in brackets. So a question ---can the
    > definition still be considered complete if you take out what is in
    > brackets?

    Sure. What's included in the brackets is there only to clarify the
    definitions. What do you find unbelievable therein?

    Platt