Re: MD Is Morality Relative?

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 16:16:54 GMT

    Erin:

    > Maybe if you could explain how it should be taken as provisional and
    > absolutely (Actually I can see how it can be both but not without being
    > contradictory) I am not sure if we should shun contradictions as flaky
    > though either. Do you think paradoxes are flaky?

    I didn't say paradoxes are flaky. I said a philosophy based on a self-
    contradictory premise like "I know I know nothing" would be flaky. By
    "flaky" I mean irrational.

    Sorry if I didn't make that clear. I believe that whenever someone's
    writing either confuses or leads a reasonably intelligent and open-minded
    reader to a misinterpretation, it's the writer's, not the reader's fault.
    Of course, not all misunderstandings can be forestalled. But the writer
    ought to make every effort to make his meaning clear. Pirsig's writing,
    for example, is a model of clarity. Kant's, by contrast, is a model of
    obfuscation. Deep thoughts need not be expressed in opaque language.

    So much for my off-the-subject sermon for today.

    Platt