RE: MD Simplification

From: Ron Winchester (phaedruswolff@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 04:41:04 GMT

    In a attempt to simplify my life, reduce my political anger, start a
    meditation practice, and catch up on my reading, I recently had my cable
    disconnected. After some initial moments of panic, I adjusted pretty well.
    I have Satellite Radio (XM), so I could still get my daily fix of Washington
    Journal (C-SPAN) and music via a large CD collection.

    On Friday morning I was feeling a bit reckless, so chose loud Metallica for
    my listen pleasure. After 2 hours of listening and painting, I turned the
    music off. My amplifier is now not functioning. There's no AM, FM or XM
    radio. There's no opera, classical or rock CDs.. There is only the sound
    of silence.

    I like the silence. I like it very much. Maybe not forever. But for now
    it is quiet wonderful.

    Hi MarshaV,

    "The test of will is action." I thought maybe James said this, but cannot
    find it in the quotes offered on the internet, so maybe he didn't. Either
    way, I feel this 'Will' is the secret to creating your own DQ. Every
    masterful artist had nothing but the will or desire to be so. If you manage
    to find a ground shaking truth in politics that will change the world, I
    don't see it getting through the Bone-headedness, and corporate influences
    of the politicians -- it could happen(?)

    Somewhere in Lila or ZMM Pirsig mentioned gumption, personal responsibility,
    personal worth. The best way to find this personal worth would be to do what
    you are doing, IMHO. To see yourself as a great artist, and to keep this
    first and foremost in your everyday thoughts; this is Dynamic Quality in the
    making.

    The Hindus blend their religion into their everyday life. They are not
    subject to static patterns as they are always evolving in their
    religion/life. To me, this is masterful. Also, to me, this reflects what the
    Native American did. Becoming one with your paint, brush, and canvas; what
    better form of meditation is there? -- what better Quality of life?

    I have a question to ask. Do you feel you can make more of a difference in
    the world through your painting, or paying attention to C-SPAN?

    Music? For me, that is a different story. I can't say I miss the WSJ, CNBC,
    Fox Finance, or BloomBerg, but I doubt I could do without my daily fix of
    hearing that one song I had forgotten bringing DQ back into my life.

    I see what Pirsig and James offer in their philosophies as much an art as
    Shakespeare and Shaw in thier plays, as Einstein and Newton were artists in
    the world of science.

    My thinking would be that if you lived, breathed, and slept thinking of your
    art, this would be DQ in every level.

    Some have riches we couldn't even imagine, but are not happy. Some have
    power we couldn't even imagine, but are not happy. Some can look at a bird
    in a tree, a flower, or a bee, and find this happiness in the beauty of the
    world. I don't think I need to say who I think would be the successful ones;
    the ones who walk with Quality in their life.

    Just thoughts,

    Chin