Re: MD Is Morality Relative?

From: PhaedrusWolf@aol.com
Date: Wed Dec 08 2004 - 22:08:21 GMT

    In a message dated 12/8/04 1:53:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
    hampday@earthlink.net writes:

    Obviously I've touched on a sensitive issue by rejecting the "art" of
    motorcycle mechanics. I should have realized this was sacred territory for
    followers of ZMM. My apologies to all current and would-be owners of
    Harleys, etc.
    The point I was trying to make is simply that we all seem to be splicing
    definitions and predicates to reach idealistic conclusions, as if solving
    the riddle of the universe was a matter patching accepted ideas into a giant
    crossword puzzle.

    I don't deny that formulating a philosophical hypothesis or a moralistic
    novel is a form of art, just as is composing music or painting on canvas --
    or maybe even mechanical engineering. But the form in which we choose to
    create is methodological; what is significant is the substance. And,
    frankly, I don't see much substance coming out of our debates here.

    Hi Ham,

    Everything is art; if it is done with the highest Quality it is a thing of
    beauty. Motorcycle maintenance is an analogy showing how the most mundane task
    can be done with Quality, and how a concentration on Quality can make a
    difference in the world. Methodological work is of the lowest Quality, and I have
    found this in mechanical engineering I have witnessed to date. When you
    persist in advancing through methodology to a given goal, there may be substance
    in your creation, but that is all it is -- a form, a cold piece of substance
    that comes from some prior decided design; the idea that Quality has no
    value.

    The skilled individual brings happiness to their life and others by the
    difference between a Quality decision and performing a task. Performing a task is
    what you are describing. It is mundane, systematic, effortless creation; you
    are simply going through life on cruise control, afraid to accelerate or
    take a curve fast as the excitement is feared to lead to only negative
    consequences. There is not adrenaline, only the biological heartbeat of existence in a
    so-so effort made in a so-so life to come to a so-so end. You have existed,
    but your existence meant nothing.

    Chin