Re: MD Is Morality Relative?

From: Ian Glendinning (ian@psybertron.org)
Date: Sat Dec 11 2004 - 00:03:10 GMT

    Mel, (and Platt, embedded)

    I kind of agree.
    I actually don't care / mind / object to where Platt believes these "good
    morals" originate.
    I defend his right to believe in a god (as I've said).

    As someone who holds the MoQ in high regard, I see it as a natural fit with
    the MoQ, and I kind of expect that to be the case with others in this
    discussion group. But we know Platt is looking at morals independant of the
    MoQ. I say OK, fair do's. But why must Platt keep introducing his god into
    discussions that don't "need" it ? If the argument is true "wherever" these
    morals originate, why introduce on particular conceivable source. Surely
    Occam has some place here ?

    The question of "origination" is Platt's not mine.
    As I've said, I really don't care "why", if that means "which purposeful
    being decided" ?
    The answer to that question can only ever be "the omniscient one".

    I accept "this is good" (or not) because it fits empirical reality.
    Why introduce "because god deems it" superfluously ?
    Just to wind me up :-) ?

    Ian