Re: MD Understanding Quality And Power

From: Mark Steven Heyman (markheyman@infoproconsulting.com)
Date: Sun Dec 19 2004 - 17:27:47 GMT

    Hi Sam,

    sam:
    I think we can recombine the IL and non-combatant bits of the thread.
    I sometimes find it difficult to keep track of lots of different
    posts, so I'll try and make this one clear to follow for anyone else.
    (I notice you've been trying out different ways to keep track)

    msh says:
    Yes, sorry about those separate quick responses; I was literally
    multi-tasking, writing code and snapping off ideas to you. I'll try
    to keep thiings together and cogent for posterity. :-)

    sam:
    It's probably worth while my actually stating what my position is,
    because it sometimes seems to get lost beneath the jousting. I think
    the decision to attack Iraq was the right one but only because the
    alternative options were worse.

    msh says:
    And my response is, which alternative options and worse in what way,
    for whom? And how would we know without trying? If the sanctions
    are causing the misery, then the first obvious thing to try is to
    lift or alter the sanctions. If Hussein is causing the misery then
    we might be able to use the Norton 8-P to justify an invasion.
    However...

    The Norton 8-P has two obvious flaws, neither of which you have
    directly addressed. The first is that the argument is based on the
    combined ideas that the Iraqi people were suffering under Hussein,
    and that International Law was failing to protect them. I believe we
    had agreed that people suffering under a brutal dictator can't be the
    motivation for the US-UK invasion, given the evidence of history.

    The second flaw is the killer, and was described in one of my quick
    posts that didn't make it into your last response. The exact same
    argument could have been used by Saddam Hussein to justify his
    invasion of Kuwait. That is, he could have claimed that his
    border dispute with Kuwait had not been justly resolved through
    International Law because of Kuwait's corrupt relationship with
    significant members of the Security Council and General Assembly
    Therefore, since the corrupted UN had failed to act legitimately,
    and his people were suffering due to lack of adequate sea access and
    loss of revenue from the shared Ar Rumaylah oil field, he was
    justified in taking the law into his own hands.

    See what I mean? The argument can be used to justify any invasion by
    any nation at any time, just my claiming International Law was not
    working due to corruption. So I don't understand why you find this
    argument persuasive. The only way it can support the US-UK invasion
    of Iraq is if you claim the USG-UKG are somehow morally superior to
    other nations. I doubt that you would claim this, given some of our
    discussion below and elsewhere.

    msh said:
    Would you agree, given the clear history of US violations of
    International Law whenever IL "got in the way" of US realpolitik,
    that any US pose as defenders of IL is absurd?

    sam:
    Yes.

    msh continued:
    If so, how can you believe your own claim that the US worked in
    good faith within the framework of International Law at arriving at
    it's "conclusion" that IL had failed?

    sam:
    I think the 'good faith' bit came via Tony Blair. I think if it had
    been someone else, the US wouldn't have gone through the UN. Cheney
    argued for ignoring the UN, I believe. In other words, I think Bush
    chose that route because it was the price of getting the UK on-side.

    msh says:
    Probably. But I doubt that TB needed much persuasion. Realpolitik
    makes familiar bedfellows, to twist a phrase. The question for the
    British ruling elite was whether or not to remain in the good graces
    of the USG, which would conduct an invasion with or without their
    support.

    sam:
    More broadly, I think there is an understated confusion here - I'm
    thinking like a Brit, you're thinking like an American; in other
    words, I'm roughly defending Blair's point of view, you're
    criticising Bush's point of view. That can sometimes mislead us a
    bit.

    msh says:
    I agree. My position is that the USG is the primary actor here, due
    to its incomparable military power and willingness to use it. But I
    think it is a mistake to see this particular use of violence as
    something "caused" by George Bush or "supported" by Tony Blair.
    These guys are just the current figureheads of power. The problem is
    systemic and goes way, way back in the intertwined histories of both
    our nations. This idea of unilateral applications of state violence
    in maintaining and expanding power is what I was hoping to explore in
    this thread, so I hope we don't get bogged down in this most recent
    example.

    <snip agreement on timing of decision to go to war>

    msh said before:
    The essence of my last post is that we either work within the
    International Law framework, trying to make it better, or we
    regress to a world where might makes right. So, the rest of this is
    academic, though interesting.

    sam:
    Hmm. Whilst I'm not a fan of might makes right, I don't think this
    exhausts the possibilities. I see law as a means to an end, not an
    end in itself; in other words it can sometimes clash with other goods
    which have preference. Now, having said that, I think we need to give
    a _very high_ priority to the rule of law, and so the justification
    for breaching it needs to be quite clear (which we're arguing about)
    but do you reject the possibility?

    msh says:
    Not at all. It's clear to me that laws can be just or unjust. But
    laws can be amended or expunged or replaced without going outside the
    LAW. Our dispute seems to stem from your belief that ALL legal
    possibilites had been expended, and that the invasion was the only
    means available to alleviate Iraqi suffering. As indicated above, I
    disagree on both counts, as well as with the hidden assumption that
    the USG-UKG were motivated by the need to relieve Iraqi suffering.

    sam continued:
    Things like the democratic accountability and enforcement of
    jurisdictions etc, which I see as essential, do not yet exist. I
    think they should exist, but before we attain that blessed state, we
    have to work with what we've got.

    msh says:
    But, for you, "working with what we've got" means granting without
    question the moral high ground to the USG-UKG. To me, history shows
    that such confidence is dangerously misplaced.

    sam:
    I think the failure to get the second resolution was tragic in all
    sorts of ways, and we haven't seen the full implications of it yet,
    by any means. But I really do think the French have more to answer
    for than the US in that regard.

    msh says:
    Why? Because they were unwilling to pass a resolution permitting the
    the USG to act unilaterally? Other resolutions were on the table.
    The USG, not France, terminated the debate.

    msh says:
    Not exactly. The deadly sanctions were the US insisted and
    enforced sanctions on food, medicine, medical equipment, industrial
    equipment to be used in rebuiding sewage, water, electrical systems
    deliberately destroyed during Iraq Attack 1991. The suffering
    caused by Iraq's business dealings with other nations is invisible
    by comparison.

    sam:
    As far as I am aware food and medical supplies were allowed by the
    sanctions regime.

    msh says:
    You're right. Resolution 661 (1990) specifically excludes medical
    supplies and food from the embargo. Nevertheless, for whatever
    reason, insufficient supplies were getting through. Anyway, we agree
    on the barbarity of the sanctions.

    msh said before:
    I said nope because you seem to believe that the ONLY valid UNSC
    response would be to OK a full-scale attack on Iraq. <snipThere
    is no reason to believe that a refined sanction regime, or sending
    back UNMOVIC, would not have had positive effects. At any rate,
    what's lost in trying? The only objection to trying is that the US
    already has all this POWER in place, and they wanted to stay on
    schedule.

    sam:
    This is what I'm not convinced by, and is perhaps the key to where
    you can make me change my mind. If I felt there was a course of
    action which would have a) eased the overall plight of the Iraqi
    people AND

    msh says:
    This is easy. Lift the sanctions completely. Regardless of what we
    think of Hussein, it is just a fact that Iraqi suffering increased
    exponentially with the laying on of sanctions.

    b) kept Saddam defanged then

    msh says:
    This was being accomplished by UN weapons inspections. Read Scott
    Ritter. Besides, if the USG was really interested in removing Saddam
    without occupying Iraq, that is, with assisting the Iraqi people in
    ousting their cruel dictator and allowing them to decide for
    theselves their own form of government, why would they refuse to
    work with non-CIA connected Iraqi democrats in and out of exile, and
    even in the Iraqi military? Why, at the end of the 1991 war, did
    they refuse to support rebelling Iraqi generals in their attempts to
    overthrow Hussein? (See UP, page 168, and online notes #95.) More
    broadly, how does the USG find it possible to assist in the overthrow
    of elected slightly leftist governments (Chile, Guatemala,
    Venezuela?) but the overthrow of Hussein just wasn't possible without
    the invasion and occupation of Iraq? The answer is simple: the
    invasion and occupation was the GOAL, not the means. The talk of
    means to an end is just smoke disgusing the end itself.

    msh said earlier:
    And I would say, as I did above, and in my previous post, that we
    either work within the framework of International Law, addressing
    its weaknesses and making it better, or we regress to a world where
    might makes right.

    sam:
    Whereas I think that in this situation a decision needed to be made -
    indeed the decision should have been made ten years previously.

    msh says:
    And I would say the "urgency" was contrived, that it was in fact just
    more smoke. Also see above, re your comment about what should have
    been done ten years before.

    sam:
    The big difference (and a very revealing difference) between this and
    the Gandhian point is that there is no way of saying 'let IL take its
    course, and accept the punishment'.

    msh says:
    No honest attempt was made to let IL take its course. Compared to
    the suffering and ongoing misery caused by the invasion and
    occupation, what punishment are you talking about?

    Your position seems to be that the most powerful country on earth
    can accept or reject IL as it sees fit. Clearly, this is rejecting
    the concept of International Law, not embracing it. And, I don't
    know about you, but that is not the kind of world I think we should
    be struggling toward. Remember, the balance of violence can shift,
    and almost certainly will.

    sam:
    The sanctions regime was evil, corrupt and corrupting and had to be
    stopped. I think there are only two realistic options in that
    situation - drop the sanctions and try to reintegrate Iraq into the
    wider system, or, regime change through military action.

    But those are not the only options. Try this: Lift the sanctions,
    get the UNMOVIC back in (which Hussein was willing to allow), and in
    the meantime work with the democratic opposition toward replacing the
    unwanted leader, as was so expertly accomplished in Chile in 1971,
    for example, or as was attempted in Venezuela last year.

    Best,
    Mark Steven Heyman (msh)

    --
    InfoPro Consulting - The Professional Information Processors
    Custom Software Solutions for Windows, PDAs, and the Web Since 1983