RE: MD Pirsig an artist - MoQ & love

From: Willy (willy@rodo.nl)
Date: Mon Jan 27 2003 - 20:13:22 GMT

    JOHN SAID:
    "I don't think the difference is merely a question of intensity, though.
    think value is not active, it just describes a potential, a wanting, but
    not a
    will. Whereas love is the active force that moves you to do what you
    value,
    that makes what will happen happen. If you passively value your shoes,
    you
    actively love them by doing what you should for them. And I can value
    freedom,
    but unless I do something to bring freedom into existence or do
    something to
    keep it from being lost, I'm not loving it."

    But a prisoner can love freedom and a blind person can love colors,
    right?

    JOHN ALSO SAID:
    To get back to John Lennon, "if you don't treat her right, my friend,
    you're
    gonna find her gone..."

    Treating someone right or not is a matter of definition, a political
    discussion mostly. The woman Lennon speaks of can love the guy but still
    leave him, right? So these are two different things, that's all.

    Just being critical...

    Willy