Re: MD Re: Is Morality relative?

From: Ian Glendinning (ian@psybertron.org)
Date: Sun Jan 02 2005 - 11:35:57 GMT

    Erin, I'm not sure what order the exchange you quote happened, but it illustrates the circularity of looking for absolutes ...

    You call Horse's "all possible worlds" answer "pointless and without meaning".
    (In fact Horse was making a condition, not an answer ... starting with "if".)
    Horse, as you point out, goes on to confirm that "context" is necessary for understanding.

    Seems most of us agree knowledge needs context (ie is "relative" to that context) to be at all meaningful (ie useful) in any world we may actually experience.
    Absolutes are for the world of thought experiments of pure logic and controlled boundary conditions, but not reality.

    I too found MSH statement of believing in absolute truth, but not absolute morality a little odd, but I suspect it makes more sense like this.

    I believe all bases for making right or wrong decisions in the real world are context dependent, but that does not preclude the fact that some abolute truth (set of knowledge) might exist in the world beyond any influence on our experience. Whether or not I believe mankind will ever agree on enough context and remove all outstanding and uncertainty and doubt, to believe there is no more knowledge beyond its experience, does not change my preparedness to believe it might exist. What it does say though, is that in the real world of possible experiences, truth (and morality) remains context dependent (relative).

    Ian