Re: MD Universal Moral Standards

From: hampday@earthlink.net
Date: Mon Jan 03 2005 - 07:18:07 GMT

    Hi Platt:

    > Now I know you reject the Biblical story and all things religious as
    > "moral authority." So my question to you and to preacher Edington and to
    > anyone else who considers the taking of a human life to be evil is: "Where
    > did you ever get that idea?" After all, killing other human beings has
    > been considered acceptable moral behavior by societies for millennia.

    I assume this is not a rhetorical question, and that you are sincere in
    asking for my opinion.

    What I call 'evil' is an act that is contradictory to Essence. Because I
    understand the individual as an agent of Essence, I believe it is generally
    wrong to take the life of any living creature. But like all existential
    morality, that principle is also relative. I'll swat a mosquito, kill a
    spider, or trap a mouse in the attic with no particular remorse, because I
    place a higher value on my personal well-being than on the lives of insects
    and rodents which interfere with the quality of my life. Yes, this is a
    (relativistic) value judgment. However, I am an anthropocentrist. I see
    the taking of a human life as the greatest evil because I believe every
    human being is (potentially at least) a center (locus or agent) of value
    itself. It's his purpose in life; if we terminate man we destroy his
    essence-value, which ultimately is an act against ourselves.

    The fact that my value system "reflects Commandment #6, 'Thou shall not
    kill'', does not mean that I accept the Bible as my moral authority. I
    think most religions subscribe to the sanctity of human life, and offer
    scripture or commandments to support this tenet. Admittedly, having been
    brought up in a nominally Christian household, I was undoubtedly influenced
    early in life by such teachings. Had I been raised in a Greek household in
    the time of Plato or Aristotle, I would have been taught the same values.
    But if we believe in the sanctity of man, we don't need an 'authority' to
    make us behave accordingly. That's why I have a problem with so-called
    ethical philosophies designed to tell us how to live and act. By
    standardizing ethics we diminish individual freedom. And freedom, as I see
    it, is essential to the autonomy of man and the development of his
    value-sense.

    > You see, Ham, although this site brings up all sorts of philosophical
    > issues, it all got started with Pirsig's "Inquiry into Morals" and his
    > metaphysics which sets out the initial premise that the universe is
    > structured morally, that is not put together by chance combinations of
    > masses and energies as scientists claim, but by " . . . the principle of
    > "rightness" which gives structure and purpose to the evolution of all life
    > and to the evolving understanding of the universe which life has created."
    > (Lila, 30)

    That's a nice thought, Platt, and it has a certain poetic ring to it. But
    if it were really true, why would men have committed atrocities throughout
    human history? Is the human being somehow "out of touch" with this moral
    world structure, or is the world structure itself defective? Possibly man,
    unlike lesser creatures, is simply too stupid to know right from wrong. If
    the universe was created for man, and morality was predesigned into its
    structure, what then do you think man's role is? Or do you accept the
    atheistic nihilism of your comrades here who would deny any purpose beyond
    the Lilatic "evolving understanding of the universe"? I had given you more
    credit than that, so please don't disappoint me again!
    .
    After all, it was you who questioned my moral integrity --

    > God help us all
    > because in your philosophy, who is to say anything is good or evil?

    Essentially yours,
    Ham