RE: MD The MOQ and Mysticism 101

From: Paul Turner (paul@turnerbc.co.uk)
Date: Mon Jan 03 2005 - 22:25:51 GMT

    Hi Platt

    Platt said:
    If enlightenment simply means becoming aware that reality exists prior
    our thoughts about it, why all the fuss?

    Paul:
    It means experiencing the reality that exists prior to any thought.

    Platt said:
     It's patently obvious that
    reality existed before I was born and was taught to think, so why
    consider
    this to be some sort of big deal revelation?

    Paul:
    See above.

    Platt said:
     To those imbued with life,
    survival is what matters, and for us humans to survive requires as an
    absolute necessity that we conceptualize in order to avoid being run
    over
    by "illusionary" trucks. Of course, we can goon out on drugs and dance
    by
    the light of the moon, but that won't feed the baby.

    Paul:
    Does your painting feed the baby?

    Platt said:
     Mysticism looks more
    and more like an escape from the necessities of life. Fortunately,
    Pirsig
    doesn't dwell on it and brings us back to earth by concluding his
    philosophy with a realistic, "That's good dog."

    Paul:
    If you understood mysticism you would realise that nothing could be more
    'back to earth'.

    Paul