Re: MD Tsunami Disaster

From: Phaedrus Wolff (PhaedrusWolff@carolina.rr.com)
Date: Sat Jan 08 2005 - 00:37:33 GMT

    Hi all,

    How do I say this?

    I can relate to the idea that a donation to the tsunami is not near enough
    to solve the problems of the world. I have always said that you cannot
    become poor enough, and you cannot suffer enough to take away the suffering
    of the children of the world -- I still see this as true. You must heal the
    world from within; starting with yourself, and allowing the Quality of your
    actions to span out through those who see this Quality and pass it on to
    someone else.

    When I look at this offer from Ant' and Dan, I see how pathetic it is. I
    don't see it as pathetic compared to what needs to be done -- I see it as
    pathetic compared to what they have already done prior to the tsunami. What
    they have done, is take an idea -- a DQ experience -- been affected by it,
    and passed it on by writing a book/thesis.

    You know you have gotten there when you plant a tree that will not bear
    fruit in your lifetime. The devastation that hit due to the tsunami hit us
    like a flash of lightening, so the outpouring of support was a natural
    reaction, and was so dynamic because we didn't have time to think; we didn't
    know it on a daily basis, and wonder what it is that we can do to solve it,
    as it holds with the starving children and all in the world who are living
    under a poverty we cannot even imagine, or under a suppressive regime that
    their life is more torture than life.

    Where I see Anthony's and Dan's real contribution to the tsunami is that it
    is a contribution to the other tsunamis to come (analogy), and quite
    possibly a contribution they will not see the effects of in their lifetime.
    Their real contribution has to do with an idea that is offered that the
    lives of those lost in the tsunami is a natural part of life -- called
    death -- that should not be feared, and should not be viewed as a loss as it
    is not a loss to the world. (sounds terrible, doesn't it?) Their death is a
    contribution as much as their life was a contribution, and they weren't lost
    in the long-term, just the short-term of the life on this earth as we know
    it.

    Most of all, thier's is a contribution that can tell a people that their
    parents, children, brothers, sisters, and friends did not get denied access
    to Heaven because they didn't stand on one foot, rub their belly, and pat
    their head during their material life on this planet. It is an idea that
    caring 'does' need to be felt and expressed on a daily basis. And it is an
    idea that we are none superior to the other, and even there is no 'Other'.

    As I do see their offer to share their book/thesis an act of sharing, of
    caring, their real contribution was writing the book/thesis.

    As this has gotten quite long already, I will not share examples of my own
    family and community to support what I am saying. All I will say is that the
    cure for the world is in how we view the world, and no monitory contribution
    or even our physical assistance to the victims of the tsunami, or any other
    devastations from man or nature throughout the world can come close to the
    changing of the world through an idea whose time has come IMHO.

    If the tsunami changed the way we view the people of other cultures, then
    the tsunami was a Dynamic Quality event. The lives lost were not lost for
    nothing, and the temporary suffering (even though it may seem to be never
    ending) can be a turning point in time and space that could change the
    future of our world as we view it; if we let it.

    Oops. Saved by wifey. She's finally ready to go.

    Chin