RE: MD Further comments to Matt

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2005 - 15:43:34 GMT

    Hi Paul:

    > But we know from Phædrus' metaphysics that the harmony Poincaré talked
    > about is not subjective. It is the source of subjects and objects and
    > exists in an anterior relationship to them. It is not capricious, it is the
    > force that opposes capriciousness; the ordering principle of all scientific
    > and mathematical thought which destroys capriciousness, and without which
    > no scientific thought can proceed." [ZMM Ch22]

    Another way to put this: "Harmony" describes the fundamental source of
    all. From this source emanates an energy that, guided by the principle of
    rightness, creates order from chaos. Another name for this creative source
    is "Beauty" and/or "Quality"

    If I've misconstrued your meaning, I hope you'll correct me.

    Regards,
    Platt