Re: MD Reply to DMB

From: Matt Kundert (pirsigaffliction@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 14 2005 - 19:29:28 GMT

    Hello Marsha,

    Marsha said:
    Isn't it speculated today that our world, including the philosophic realm,
    is 'word-built'? If this is true, then might it be that our Western habit of
    thought and language does not accommodate describing Dynamic quality, though
    it may in the future. And to stay inside your present box of knowledge will
    only keep us inside your box of knowledge.

    Matt:
    Sure, but I don’t think there is any neutral way to adjudicate between your
    claim that I’m keeping us in my box of knowledge and my claim that you’re
    keeping us in your box of knowledge.

    Thing is, the only way to figure out if my box of knowledge does not
    accommodate describing Dynamic Quality is to work through the dialogue we
    are presently facing, to compare, if you will, our different “boxes of
    knowledge.”

    For instance, you are right, much contemporary thought in the West is
    infected with the idea that “everything is a social construction” (a
    Foucaultian idea) or “all awareness is linguistic” (Wilfrid Sellars’
    formulation of the same thing). Many would claim that such philosophies
    block out the possibility of DQ. I have spent a lot of time claiming that,
    not only does it not, but that the way I describe DQ is better than the way,
    say, the traditional, mainline Pirsigian does. For one thing, I think
    Pirsig’s claim about DQ is that everyone already has a connection with it,
    that there is no way to really “block” it out. I think the distinction
    between “blocking” DQ and being open to it really just pans out to people
    who are not open to change in their beliefs on the one side and people who
    are on the other. As long as you are open and inquisitive, I don’t see how
    one could be blocked from Dynamic Quality. And really, that’s the most
    important part, isn’t it?

    Matt