RE: MD Universal Moral Standards

From: Mark Steven Heyman (markheyman@infoproconsulting.com)
Date: Sun Jan 16 2005 - 15:39:52 GMT

    On 16 Jan 2005 at 8:51, Platt Holden wrote:

    platt to dmb and me:
    You two proponents of moral relativism attempt to mock the existence
    of universal moral standards, yet you appeal to them every time you
    post an argument for one of your government welfare programs, citing
    such standards as compassion and caring. When you come right out and
    declare such standards mean nothing to you, then I'll conclude your
    silly comparisons contain a kernel of truth.

    msh says:
    This is almost a fair criticism. Except that I've never claimed that
    compassion for other sentients is an absolute moral standard. To me,
    it's more like a null hypothesis, that is, something that should be
    as obvious as empathy but, if it isn't, needs to be disproved rather
    than proved. In other words, it's my preferred basis for working
    toward a higher quality environment.

    platt:
    Until then, I'll view them as yet another in a long history of ad
    hominem attacks, based on the leftist principle of "When in doubt,
    smear."

    msh says:
    What? Now you're gonna knock my hobbies?

    Best,
    Mark Steven Heyman (msh)

    --
    InfoPro Consulting - The Professional Information Processors
    Custom Software Solutions for Windows, PDAs, and the Web Since 1983