MD Logic, Analolgy, Metaphor

From: Joseph Maurer (jhmau@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2005 - 18:10:36 GMT

    On 10 January 2005 2:04 AM Ian writes to DMB

    DMB

    You seem to be saying
    Vague is bad
    (Logically precise) is good ?
    Not sure that is true.
    Less is often more.

    Before we destroy it with the analytic knife, I'd like to get at least some
    vague idea of what mysticism means. I still have no clue.

    Ian

    Hi Ian, DMB, and all,

    Hi Ian, Thank You!! IMO How something is said is more important than what is
    said? I am thinking of logical speech, analogy, and metaphor. Plain speech
    accepts what is observed and experienced. "There are things which you have
    said to me which I do not like. They were not sweet like sugar, but bitter
    like gourds." Chief Ten Bears, Lila Chapter 3.

    Analogy accepts the discontinuity of forms, e.g., evolution! Gravity is
    often an analogue for different forces. Metaphor accepts a faith in
    awareness in a model of different moral levels. " I was born on the prairie
    where the wind blew free, and there was nothing to break the light of the
    sun." ibid. The inorganic-organic level model of speech is logical. "I want
    to die there, and not within walls." ibid.

    IMO The social level model of speech is metaphor, e.g., the roles in a
    family. No one is quite sure apart from organic generation what the roles of
    father, mother, child etc. mean. Yet social order occurs from an acceptance
    of roles. Metaphor is in the social order. He/she is leader! An order is
    observed. When the metaphor of order is used in the intellectual level as a
    metaphysical tool it becomes dogma. The creation of awareness is seen as a
    higher level than order. Gravity is seen as a lower level than order.
    Feeding is seen as a higher level than gravity, but lower than order. IMO
    This is morality! The assignment of guilt for an action is measured in the
    awareness level of the individual. The proof of awareness is action, "by
    their fruits you will know them." Anarchy in Iraq comes from a destruction
    of an established social order.

    IMO If I propose existing levels like in evolution I use a social level
    base. IMO order is the social level. The inorganic, organic, social,
    intellectual levels in the MOQ are metaphors of DQ. There is no inorganic,
    organic, intellectual supreme leader. The periodic table of elements is an
    analogy to the social order. It would seem that an affect on awareness would
    be a more reasonable base for a periodic table of elements.

    When metaphor and analogy are combined they evolve, the moral levels occur.
    'Supreme' has meaning only in the social level order in the same way the
    order family, city, king has meaning. Yet the intellectual level is the
    highest.

    IMO Analogy is used to express the mystical acceptance of the levels. The
    term 'like' seems to emphasize the acceptance of different levels. It is
    analogy to use as an explanation of the causes of WW I & II, the struggle
    between the intellectual and social levels. Morality is analogy in terms of
    DQ. However, as analogies, the inorganic, organic, social, and intellectual
    levels are moral levels of quality everyone accepts, as they accept the
    analogy of evolution into moral levels.

    Joe