Re: MD The Long & Winding Road

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2005 - 20:42:08 GMT

    Hi Poot,

    > Why could we not consider Bill Hicks opinions/statements on an equal level
    > of respect, to those of an "established" newspaper? Can you surely say
    > that one is more right than the other?

    Would you consider the opinions/statements of Jackie Mason to be on equal
    level with those of Bill Hicks or an established newspaper?

    > Platt: Another technique is to use a singular occurrence of anecdotal
    > evidence to prove a point (When I was sick socialized medicine saved my
    > life.)
    >
    > Poot: So far, in my life, I have experienced life both in a privatized
    > system (though more briefly) and public. Could you say the same for
    > yourself? I do not use the single occurences of myself, but also of my
    > close and extended relations. It is much more extensive than you may
    > imagine (unfortunately). But rather than provide 50 examples, I spoke from
    > personal experience.

    I've had more than my share of personal experience in the privatized
    system to rate it excellent in all respects (except for government
    required paperwork.) I also know many people who feel likewise. But, that
    doesn't prove much.

    > Platt: while ignoring evidence compiled by a broad range of study. (The NHS
    > has a severe shortage of capacity, directly costing the lives of tens of
    > thousands of patients a year. Source: The Guardian.)
    >
    > Poot: While ignoring evidence compiled by a broad range of study. However,
    > the study was only directed at analyzing the NHS. I wonder what a study
    > would conclude, once a study was compiled on the medical system in the U.S.
    >
    > Yes, waiting times are much less, there are many more doctors. However,
    > it is those who cannot afford to even use the medical system who are at a
    > disadvantage.

    No one in the U.S. is refused medical treatment.

    > Platt: Peter to rescue poor Paul from the
    > consequences of his bad decisions.

    > Poot: Some people are born into poverty/disadvantage. Yes , it is
    > natural, but it is in very many cases, this is not the result of bad
    > decisions. (I . E. born into poverty)
    > It just seems obvious to me, that in your daily life, you do not really
    > come into heavy contact with lower-class citizens of wherever you
    > live/work.

    Again, my personal experiences don't count for much when discussing the
    merits of national policy. As a general proposition, for people to be free
    they must accept responsibility for their own welfare. Dependency means
    someone has power over you.

    > Platt:Finally, there's the implication, sometimes obviously stated, that if
    > your political view isn’t leftist,
    >
    > I have never used the terms "left-ist" or "right-wing" and retain a strong
    > dislike of such broad labels.

    "Leftist" is a broad term to identify those who look to the coercive power
    of government to solve what they define as social and economic injustices
    rather than encouraging individual responsibility and personal liberty.

    Best,
    Platt

    MD Queries -