MD Quality and Bias In Commercial Media

From: Mark Steven Heyman (markheyman@infoproconsulting.com)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2005 - 01:33:35 GMT

    Hi Ant, Platt, and all,

    Change of subject here, because I don't want to drown a perfectly
    good thread, Understanding Power, with a torrent of Holden
    Circularity. I also don't want Sam to be discouraged (and dizzy)
    when he tries to catch up, after his vacation.

    On 19 Jan 2005 at 18:54, Platt Holden wrote:

    msh asked:
    > Can you at least provide a specific report that supports your
    > opinion, one with verifiable references, and maybe even include a
    > little analysis of your own? Otherwise, it's very difficult to
    > believe that you are serious about investigating this issue.

    Instead of a response, we get The Holden Circularity:
    How about providing some evidence that the media doesn't have a
    liberal bias?

    msh says:
    How does one prove a negative? You're the one making a positive
    claim, that the media are biased, that they follow a "liberal" or
    anti-Bush agenda. As evidence, you've referred us to Goldberg's
    book. Ant McWatt beat me to it, and provided some good evidence
    refuting Goldberg's one testable assertion, that the media identify
    (label) people as "conservative" far more than they identify liberals
    as "liberal," thus supposedly suggesting that conservatives are out
    of the mainstream, on the fringe, way out there and whacky.

    What is your response to Ant's refutation of this?

    If you can't or won't respond to this, I repeat, can you at least
    provide a specific report that supports your opinion, one with
    verifiable references, and maybe even include a little analysis of
    your own? If you provide a specific report, with references, and
    comments of your own, I'll be happy to provide an analysis.

    Thanks,
    Mark Steven Heyman (msh)
    --
    InfoPro Consulting - The Professional Information Processors
    Custom Software Solutions for Windows, PDAs, and the Web Since 1983

    "The shadows that a swinging lamp will throw,
            We come from nowhere and to nothing go."