Re: MD The Long & Winding Road

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2005 - 14:33:28 GMT

    Arlo,

    > Better then to say that "ad hominem" attacks are used by "people", not
    > "leftists". Just because people use "ad hominem" attacks against you, does
    > not make it "leftist argument" form. In other forums, like the O'Reilly
    > Factor, it is "liberals" who are commonly the recipient of "ad hominem"
    > attacks.

    At least you admit there have been ad hominem attacks on me, a
    conservative. As for your O'Reilly charge, can you furnish some examples?

    > It's truly sad that many of the tactics enunciated by Goebbles are the same
    > tactics employed by Rove and the conservative propaganda machine. I do not
    > feel the conservatives are political fascists, but propaganda serves any
    > master, regardless of ilk.

    Tactics enunciated by Goebbels used by Rove? How about telling us what
    those tactics are and how, when, and where Rove used them? Compared to
    Michael Moore, Goebbels was an amateur.

    > But I have, and others have as well. The Wired article, on several key
    > agenda items of the "conservative" administration, warned repeatedly of
    > increasing loss of privacy and invasive government. I posted a link to a
    > Newsweek story, that also ran over CNN, about the memos of the soon-to-be
    > attorney general. This is gaining some press, sure, but ask why the first
    > agenda for this term will include being able to declare US citizens as
    > "terrorists", and hold them without representation or inditement. There is
    > also Patriot Act II, which will likely pass with ease, which further
    > increases the breadth and invasive power of the federal government.

    If it was as bad as you say, how come the Congress overwhelmingly passed
    the Patriot Act and the courts haven't thrown it out?

    Platt