Re: MD Quality and Bias In Commercial Media

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2005 - 14:51:05 GMT

    Hi Anthony,

    > However, what I do try to emphasise is that every information source (not
    > just 99%) needs to questioned on the lines given by Ian G. (on January
    > 15th) i.e. consistency of fit with the rest of reality and the motives of
    > the writers (and, if applicable, editors and owners) who produce it.

    > I was hardly expecting a response (even a glib one) concerning Geoffrey
    > Nunberg’s critique of the Media Research Center just yet as I said that was
    > I delving further into the organization and its articles. However, without
    > some equally credible academic source to discredit Nunberg’s critique – at
    > some point, at least - Platt’s contention that there is credible supporting
    > material for Goldberg's books does appear increasingly unlikely.

    First, I think your reference to "credible academic source" supports my
    contention that you look to formal scholarship for credence. Second,
    assigning motives to an author is tricky business. But if that is to be a
    criteria, the following sentence near the beginning of Nunberg's critique
    immediately revealed an anti-conservative bias: "-- the MRC has cooked the
    books in a way that even an Arthur Andersen account would blush to own up
    to." A weak attempt at humor that belies any claim to objectivity.

    Regards,
    Platt

    MD Queries -