RE: MD newsflash: it's all a con

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2005 - 00:51:07 GMT

    Hi Nick, Gav,

    Nick, you raise a most interesting philosophical question, namely, "How do
    we know what's a con and what isn't?" Pirsig says you can tell like you
    can tell which paintings in a gallery are the good ones. Here's what he
    says:

    "But if Quality or excellence is seen as the ultimate reality then it
    becomes possible for more than one set of truths to exist. Then one
    doesn't seek the absolute "Truth." One seeks instead the highest quality
    intellectual explanation of things with the knowledge that if the past is
    any guide to the future this explanation must be taken provisionally; as
    useful until something better comes along. One can then examine
    intellectual realities the same way he examines paintings in an art
    gallery, not to find which one is the "real" painting, but simply to enjoy
    and keep those that are of value." (Lila, 8)

    My intellect tells me democracy is a better painting in the gallery of
    government organizations that the other ones, and that the republic
    painting is even better..

    So what do you think of Pirsig's gallery test against being conned?

    Platt