RE: MD newsflash: it's all a con

From: Nick Clair (nclair@webxsol.com)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2005 - 14:14:40 GMT

    Now you're scaring me Gav

    You're right. For thousands of years they could convince us that we need
    masters. It doesn't sound as hard as you think it would be. All you have to
    do is convince one generation and they will pass it down to their children
    and their children and so on.

    When you are a child you are constantly looking at things and trying to
    figure out your own reality. Your parents, friends, teachers, and everyone
    else in your environment help you understand that reality by explaining
    things to you. Anything that you "know" but didn't figure out for yourself
    was told to you somewhere down the line and you believed it.

    If someone has the power to trick us into thinking we need rulers then they
    can do a lot more than that. History is just told to us. I have no personal
    evidence that any history, even my own memories, really existed. All I can
    be sure of is this very moment. And I can't even be sure of that because I'm
    relying on my senses to explain it to me. If they decided to lie or
    misinterpret then my reality may be false.

    I have to trust someone sometimes or else I'll just sit in my room looking
    around trying to decided what is really there and what isn't. I trust my
    senses then I start trusting the people who build my reality.

    Africa, for example, is a very "real" part of my world, part of my reality.
    I walk around every second of every day with a firm belief that Africa
    exists. How can I be so sure if I've never been there or seen it? People
    tell me it's there then they prove it by showing a drawing with a large
    green blob is labeled "Africa" and that's all the proof I need. That's all
    the proof anyone needs.

    If I told you there was a magical land of ferries just south of England and
    then drew a little map showing an island south of England labeled "Ferry
    Island" you wouldn't believe me. But I offered just as much proof as the
    rest of the world offered when they convinced you that there is a place
    called Africa.

    If democracy is not true, if the world is run by secret societies, then my
    trust in the people who conned me will dissolve. If the world lied to me
    about who really controls things then what else can it lie about? Maybe
    there is no "Africa". How would I know? I only know because I trust the same
    people who told me that the people run the government. Now I can only
    believe my senses which make my reality very small. And if I ever find out
    my senses lied to me ( and I'm not sure how since my senses would have to
    tell me that they lied in the first place ) then I would have nothing at
    all.

    If you can't trust the people who create your reality then you are left
    without a reality. That is scary.

    Have a pleasant day.