RE: MD Them pesky pragmatists

From: Matt Kundert (pirsigaffliction@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2005 - 18:40:16 GMT

    Wolff,

    Matt said:
    Both Paul and Wolff seem to suggest that I’ve stopped thinking. But where is
    the evidence for that?

    Wolff said:
    May I ask how I "seem to suggest" this?

    Matt:
    Part of the dangers of "speaking off the top of your head" and "in general"
    is accusation-by-implicature. Your general discourse in relation to me has
    been, as I understand it, one of disagreement. As such, when you start
    forwarding such (normally innocuous) theses as "For
    one to develop her own philosophy, it requires an ability to 'Think'"
    combined with "you can learn a lot from these masters of philosophy, but
    these masters of philosophy do not 'Teach' philosophy, any more than they
    were taught philosophy. For them to become great masters, they had to
    'Learn' their philosophy; they had to think on their own terms," the
    implication is that I'm not developing my own philosophy, nor thinking, but
    more like parroting the masters.

    So I am in a lot of ways. But I doubt I'm not thinking, nor do I doubt the
    validity, energy, or Quality of any of things I've been saying. A personal
    idiom does not ipso facto mean you are doing Quality work. Its more
    complicated than that as I think the history of philosophy (as the history
    of these very geniuses in question) brings out.

    Matt