RE: MD Them pesky pragmatists

From: Ron Winchester (phaedruswolff@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2005 - 23:35:49 GMT

    Matt:
    Part of the dangers of "speaking off the top of your head" and "in general"
    is accusation-by-implicature. Your general discourse in relation to me has
    been, as I understand it, one of disagreement. As such, when you start
    forwarding such (normally innocuous) theses as "For
    one to develop her own philosophy, it requires an ability to 'Think'"
    combined with "you can learn a lot from these masters of philosophy, but
    these masters of philosophy do not 'Teach' philosophy, any more than they
    were taught philosophy. For them to become great masters, they had to
    'Learn' their philosophy; they had to think on their own terms," the
    implication is that I'm not developing my own philosophy, nor thinking, but
    more like parroting the masters.

    So I am in a lot of ways. But I doubt I'm not thinking, nor do I doubt the
    validity, energy, or Quality of any of things I've been saying. A personal
    idiom does not ipso facto mean you are doing Quality work. Its more
    complicated than that as I think the history of philosophy (as the history
    of these very geniuses in question) brings out.

    Hi Matt;

    Pretty much what I am trying to say is that when you limit your philosophy
    to the 'Norm' or 'Paradigm' of previously held beliefs, then you are
    limiting yourself as the church would limit a saint. If your experience must
    be verified or validated to meet these previously held beliefs, or compared
    to see if it fits in with the previously held beliefs, then you are bound to
    your cultural beliefs; those that I feel are already built into your psyche
    from just simply living in, or descending from the culture. Everything you
    think, when all you are exposed to is Western philosophy is going to be
    verified by Western philosophy, so that then you are bound to Western
    philosophy.

    When you are subjected to Eastern philosophy, then you expand your horizons;
    you are no longer bound to Western philosophy. Western philosophy might
    offer some grand thoughts from philosophology, and these thoughts should be
    taken into consideration, but not blindly followed. Eastern philosophy lends
    itself to not offering guidelines, but offering the idea that you should not
    follow guidelines, but look within to find your answers.

    You can study philosophology, science, religion, art, and mathematics, but
    when it comes time to develop your own philosophy, it only comes from 'Your
    own' experience, and not the experiences of the masters. You must unlearn
    before you are able to learn. You must unlearn the 'Prejudices' that have
    been built up in you that leave you bound to purely static patterns. You
    must be open to Dynamic Quality.

    If you take insult to this, it is not my thoughts you are taking insult to,
    but your own thoughts that lead you to say I am saying "You (Matt) are
    incapable of thinking." If I thought you personally were incapable of
    thinking, then I would not be bothering to spend time offering my thoughts.