Re: MD Pure experience and the Kantian problematic

From: Ian Glendinning (ian@psybertron.org)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2005 - 12:01:04 GMT

    DMB and all,

    We're just back round to "mysticism" again.

    Although you choose very pejorative words (mysticism is itself one) -
    narcissism, flattery, etc ... you are simply stating common sense ...

    Everybody's interpretation of new information is based on what they already
    believe, and that will (by definition) always look selfish (subjective) from
    the third person viewpoint.

    So whether that third person believes in scientific objectivity or god, any
    alternative first persion view will be branded "mysticism" by theother two,
    unless it is consistent with the third persion view in which case the "halo"
    effect simply produces agreement, re-inforcing the third-person's
    first-person view ... ditto.

    You call it narcissism & flattery, I call it reality.
    What do you believe ? is the only meaningful question.
    (Saying what you believe someone else believes, just prolongs the agony)

    Ian