Re: MD Pure experience and the Kantian problematic

From: Scott Roberts (jse885@localnet.com)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2005 - 04:34:03 GMT

    Marsha,

    Marsha asked:
    But I'm curious, if Intellect, Consciousness and Quality are all the same (non-thing), how are you defining or describing it?

    Scott:
    What I am saying is that in addition to Pirsig's claim that in any event there is Quality, one can also say that in any event there is consciousness and intellect. That consciousness is involved follows, as I see it, in that there is no value unless there is awareness of value. That intellect is involved is more complicated. Briefly, an event has value as a consequence of its place in some system, as expressed in calling SQ "static patterns of value". A pattern is a generality. It is repeatable, meaning that a particular event is valued insofar as it manifests, or plays a role in some pattern. The static side of Intellect is this process of recognizing that the event is manifesting a pattern. This is obvious in language. A word is a word (rather than a meaningless sequence of sounds of squiggles) because it plays a role in conveying some message. But, or so I am claiming, if I see a rock, then the rock is also conveying some message in the language of inorganic static patterns of value. I don't mean to imply that the rock is speaking to me, rather, the rock is one word among many by which nature, so to speak, is speaking to me. Most of what it has to say, though, I am too obtuse to hear.

    The dynamic side of intellect is creating new SPOV, which we do when we think new things, and which when nature does it we call it evolution.

    - Scott