Re: MD Pure experience and the Kantian problematic

From: Scott Roberts (jse885@localnet.com)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 05:07:58 GMT

    DMB,

    Scott said:
    Again (and how many times do I have to say this), I am not denying that we
    learn from other ways than the senses. I ACCEPT what you call
    epistemological pluralism. I REJECT expanding the word "empirical" to the
    mental-phenomenological and the transcendental, for the same reason that
    Wilber gave in Eye to Eye.

    dmb replies:
    Again with the snort and the chuckle. I'm reporting my spontaneous and
    immediate reaction here, I swear. Here you have rejected AND accepted the
    same thing at the same time. This is how confused you are, dude.
    Epistemological pluralism IS BY DEFINITION the expansion of the meaning of
    the word empirical. (Actually, its not so much an expansion as it is a
    restoration of what Modernity had collapsed.) Where did you learn how to
    read, Scott? You really should get yourself a lawyer and sue those bastards.
    They done you wrong. ;-) But seriously, you have contradicted yourself
    again, this time within a single paragraph. Don't know if I can take much
    more of this kind of "fun".

    Scott:
    Apparently your snorting and chuckling caused you to overlook that what I
    REJECT is the definitional CHOICE that "Epistemological pluralism IS BY
    DEFINITION the expansion of the meaning of the word empirical". One has the
    choice:

    1. Restrict the use of the word "empirical" to sensory experience.
    2. Use the word "empirical" for all experience.

    Wilber, in Eye to Eye, explicitly says he has chosen (1). Pirsig has chosen
    (2). So when I say I REJECT expanding the word "empirical" to the
    mental-phenomenological and the transcendental, I am saying that I think
    Pirsig made a bad choice, and Wilber the right one. That is not inconsistent
    with accepting that other kinds of experience than the sensory are
    legitimate sources of knowledge.

    - Scott