Re: MD Pure experience and the Kantian problematic

From: Scott Roberts (jse885@localnet.com)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 21:45:45 GMT

    Matt,

    Matt said:
    Like the idea that "intelligent design" is a scientific theory. I'm not
    sure how Scott feels about it (based on his feelings about Darwinianism),
    but as far as I can see, from what I've read, "intelligent design" isn't so
    much a theory whose purpose is to displace evolutionary theory, as an
    attempt to block the road of inquiry (by saying, "nah, nah, evolution won't
    explain the things you want it to").

    Scott:
    A couple of clarifications. First, "intelligent design" is an evolutionary
    theory, not a displacement. It wants to displace Darwinism, another
    evolutionary theory that holds that no appeal to anything we might call
    mental is needed to explain biological change and the coming into existence
    of anything we might call mental (sigh, it's so hard to find a non-SOM
    vocabulary :-). I consider neither intelligent design nor Darwinism to be
    scientific theories. (I also don't particularly like being associated with
    "intelligent design" theorists, but do admit I am closer to them than to
    Darwinists. My objections are that it is usually given as if there were one
    Intelligent Designer, aka God, which I disagree with. Further, since I
    consider Intellect to be another name for Buddhist Emptiness, to say there
    is a design according to which bodies are made to evolve is probably
    misleading. That would be an anthropomorphic fallacy. In short, intelligent
    design is thought of in SOM terms, and that won't work. Of course, in my
    opinion, Darwinism is also thought of in SOM terms.)

    Matt said:
      Pragmatists have very little truck
    with blocking the road of inquiry, we'd rather let inquiries die out on
    there own. People will simply stop doing them when they are found to not be
    profitable anymore.

    Scott:
    I certainly don't want to tell people what or how to inquire. But from my
    point of view, I see the efforts of cognitive scientists and all to be as
    likely of paying off in any significant way (like telling us how language
    could have come about from a world without language) as is working on
    building a perpetual motion machine. So it is my responsibility to try to
    explain why I think so.

    - Scott