Re: MD Pure experience and the Kantian problematic

From: Scott Roberts (jse885@localnet.com)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2005 - 03:22:15 GMT

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Ant McWatt" <antmcwatt@hotmail.co.uk>
    To: <moq_discuss@moq.org>
    Sent: Monday, February 21, 2005 2:54 PM
    Subject: MD Pure experience and the Kantian problematic

    Scott Roberts stated February 21st:

    Ant,

    Scott wrote:
    Most of my criticisms of the MOQ derive from two sources. One comes from my
    thinking about consciousness and language, and the other comes from the
    Buddhist doctrine that form is formlessness, formlessness is form. It is my
    opinion that the MOQ has not grasped this.

    Ant McWatt comments:

    Except it definitely has, as emphasised by italics in Section 2.1.1. of my
    PhD thesis (though I've used CAPITALS below to replace the italics):

    Scott:
    My first thought on reading this was that if Pirsig has grasped the doctrine
    of the Middle Way, then he was intellectually misleading to have dumbed down
    Lila's discussion of mysticism, since you just can't get from ZAMM and Lila
    the idea that DQ is SQ, SQ is DQ. (I think also that using DQ and SQ rather
    than formlessness and form makes this even more difficult -- form can be
    seen as the interaction of the dynamic and the static, with formlessness
    being identical to their interaction -- two forces of one Power, as
    Coleridge has it.) But I think it is more likely that he just hasn't quite
    grasped the full import of the doctrine. He says (NOT in Lila or ZAMM, note)
    "In Buddhism, form and formlessness, freedom and order, co-exist."
    Co-existence is a long way from identity of contradictories.

    In sum, then, when you say "As a development of Zen Buddhism, IT'S CRITICAL
    TO REALISE THAT THE MOQ CAN BE PERCEIVED AS REFLECTING THE CIRCLE OF
    ENLIGHTENMENT found in Buddhist thought..." then my reaction is (a) no one
    has a chance or realizing this unless they have read your thesis and/or has
    gotten further communication from Pirsig's 1999a, and (b) they will still
    have an inadequate view of the circle of enlightenment, though better than
    what they would get just from reading ZAMM and Lila.

    - Scott

    [From Ant's thesis]

    As a development of Zen Buddhism, IT'S CRITICAL TO REALISE THAT THE MOQ CAN
    BE PERCEIVED AS REFLECTING THE CIRCLE OF ENLIGHTENMENT found in Buddhist
    thought where an adherent (such as a young monk) begins at 'the world of
    form' (typically perceived at this juncture dualistically, as in SOM) and
    proceeds to an understanding of 'formlessness' (termed 'Dynamic Quality' by
    Pirsig) to obtain 180 degrees enlightenment. The student then returns with
    this new knowledge into 'the world of form' to achieve full (or 360 degrees)
    enlightenment or Buddhahood (in which Dynamic Quality is perceived via the
    static quality patterns).

    "In Buddhism, the world can be described in terms of 'The First Principle',
    sometimes called 'Formlessness' or 'nothingness' or 'freedom' which
    parallels the treatment of Quality in ZMM. The world can also be described
    in terms of 'The Second Principle' of 'Form' or 'order' which parallels the
    treatment of quality in LILA. In Buddhism, form and formlessness, freedom
    and order, co-exist." (Pirsig 1999a)

    i.e. one should not be seeking to arrive at recognising Dynamic Quality but
    to a more profound understanding. 'The teaching of emptiness is actually an
    affirmation of the dynamic interconnectedness of all things.' (Burton, 2001,
    p.178) The treatment of Quality through ZMM (its formlessness) and LILA
    (its forms) can, when taken together, be read as reflecting the circle of
    enlightenment; both texts are constructed as Western versions of a Zen koan
    (literally puzzling story or question) in order to assist a more
    Western-orientated mind achieve enlightenment.

    "Everybody knows what quality is. Some people know that they know it, and
    other people, particularly Freshman rhetoric students, don't know that they
    know it. This is in accord with the Soto Zen Buddhist doctrine that
    everyone is enlightened. What occurs at 'enlightenment' is the falling away
    of the illusion that one is not enlightened. But the enlightenment has been
    there all along." (Pirsig, 1997d)

    To use Pirsig's terminology, enlightenment as such entails an awareness of
    Dynamic Quality through static quality patterns. This is illustrated by
    Cooper (2002b, p.18):

    "When enlightened [a person] is once again aware of the mountains as
    genuinely present, but in a quite different register of awareness from his
    original, naïve one. It is not simply that he appreciates their dependent
    status: rather he has become capable of those 'double exposures' through
    which a mountain both 'dissolves' into and 'condenses' a world, and is both
    a unique, palpable particular, yet an expression of a 'wondrous' and
    'advancing' whole."

    Remember Pirsig has read through this text a number of times to ensure it
    reflects his ideas accurately and such an important section would not have
    been allowed to pass uncorrected. Moreover, he noted to me after reading
    the first draft of the thesis that in this respect there is an identity
    between his and Nagarjuna's philosophy (of the Middle Way). Even in
    Pirsig's recent comments in the Copleston annotations and "Lila's Child"
    there is an emphasis on emptiness/nothingness rather than nihilism.

    I'll address your other points later Scott but as the above issue was
    critical it merited an immediate response.

    Best wishes,

    Anthony.