Re: MD Static and dynamic aspects of mysticism and religious experience

From: Wim Nusselder (wim.nusselder@antenna.nl)
Date: Sat Feb 26 2005 - 16:11:35 GMT

    Dear Sam,

    I take the first point on which you expressed agreement with me 21 Feb 2005
    13:10:19 -0000 as implying that:
    'for [you] as [an Anglican] DQ is highest in the hierarchy of [your] values,
    followed by immediate recognition (as we discussed before) that DQ can only
    be experienced relative to old sq and requires constant creation of new sq.
    They're a "contradictory identity" in Scott/Nishida's wording.'
    Is that right??

    You also said that there seems to you to be a family resemblance between
    Quakerism and Christian mysticism rather than an identity, because 'standard
    Christian mysticism would be much more focussed on Jesus and the
    sacraments'.
    What if we would say that Christian mysticism WAS more focussed on Jesus and
    the sacraments than it is now, e.g. in Quakerism, that is to say that
    Christian mysticism doesn't require Jesus and sacraments as focus?

    I'm fine with 'stimulating a person's awareness of DQ (a person's
    cultivation of the practice of the presence of God)', but still wouldn't
    call that theology.

    The two Quakers who joined your congregation now consider themselves "first
    a pilgrim, second a Christian, third an Anglican and ex-Quaker"? Why did
    they choose Anglicanism instead of Quakerism (even if only as a third layer
    of their religious identities? Has DQ come down in their hierarchy of
    values, have specific static patterns of value among Quakers come down or
    have specific static patterns of value among Anglicans gone up? (My
    knowledge of Quakerism and Anglicanism excludes the option that DQ going up
    in their hierarchy of values could make them choose Anglicanism instead of
    Quakerism. Anglicanism seems more focused on static patterns of value than
    Quakerism.)

    With friendly greetings,

    Wim