Re: MD Pure experience and the Kantian problematic

From: Scott Roberts (jse885@localnet.com)
Date: Sun Mar 06 2005 - 02:36:31 GMT

    Sam,

    Sam said:
    This is where I find Scott's language of 'contradictory
    identity' helpful, so perhaps 'Quality is the contradictory identity of DQ
    and SQ' would capture my view. Don't know if that's an accurate use of his
    language though.

    Scott:
    Well, that's pretty much it, except that there is no accurate way to put it.
    I generally think of Quality, or Consciousness, or Intellect, and maybe some
    other capitalized words like Love and Will as what we call it when the two
    poles of a contradictory identity mix it up. But one can also think of it as
    Coleridge did: two forces of one Power. That is, one should not treat
    Quality as being caused by the two forces, nor as Quality as causing the two
    forces, so in a way one might think of there being two contradictory
    identities at play: the one between DQ and SQ, and the one between Quality
    and DQ/SQ. Or as a three-way business. Which all boils down to: one cannot
    think it through. But that is the point, as Goethe said, "one is only truly
    thinking when that which one thinks cannot be thought through".

    - Scott