Re: MD Philosophy and Metaphysics (I)

From: Scott Roberts (jse885@localnet.com)
Date: Sun Mar 20 2005 - 19:33:55 GMT

    Matt,

    (This is an overdue reply, and even so, I'm not sure I will get to all the
    interesting points raised.)

    Matt said
    To restate again, the definitions I'd like to use:

    1) Metaphilosophy: What way of life are we going to follow?

    2) Philosophy: How do things, in the broadest sense of the term, hang
    together, in the broadest sense of the term?

    3) Metaphysics: How do things _really_ hang together?

    Scott said:
    I think there is one additional distinction to make, though, within the
    category "metaphysics". One might call it "finalizing" or "asymptotic"
    metaphysics versus (as Whitehead describes his) "speculative" metaphysics.
    [skip]

    Matt said:
    Okay, I can except this point insofar as I think I need to amend my
    explanations of the definitions. Because I wouldn't take "speculative
    metaphysics" to be metaphysical according to my definitions. To my mind,
    speculators like Whitehead, Royce, Sanatayana, and Pirsig are not (in their
    better moments) trying to get Reality to pin down their moves. They are
    simply redescribing large amounts of reality in terms of whatever.

    So, I should add some further explanation as to the interplay between
    metaphilosophy and philosophy. I said that "when doing philosophy . we try
    and develop a vocabulary with which we try and get the rest of our
    vocabularies . to hang together. Doing metaphilosophy involves a
    conversation about which form of life is better, which kind of philosophical
    vocabulary we should be using to get our other vocabularies to hang
    together. One way of describing metaphysics, then, is as a particular kind
    of philosophical vocabulary, a kind of philosophy that tries to have
    metaphilosophical consequences." This last part about metaphysics isn't
    quite right, though you read it the way I want it to be read (based on my
    further comments right afterward) when you say that metaphysics tries "to
    have metaphilosophical consequences that are determined by Reality."

    As I see it, doing philosophy can vault us up into metaphilosophy, that
    philosophy can have metaphilosophical consequences, or rather, some
    philosophies won't be appropriate for some forms of life. This isn't so
    much because of any "metaphysical hammering," but because the two are more
    like on a continuum, there isn't a hard and fast distinction between the two
    (which is why philosophers like Cavell say that there isn't any such thing
    as metaphilosophy and why Rorty himself doesn't talk much about
    metaphilosophy anymore). Sometimes when doing philosophy you are forced
    into a discussion about what form of life we want to be. This happens when,
    for instance, there isn't anywhere else for the conversation to go, when a
    straight out argument isn't going to work because both sides seem to be
    begging the question over each other. (This is what I see occurring with
    our discussion of consciousness; we both appear to be begging the question
    to the other, so we are forced to discuss which form of life we'd rather
    be.) What distinguishes "metaphysical philosophy" from "speculative
    philosophy" (which I'm stealing from you in place of "non-metaphysical") is
    that metaphysics tries to get things hammered down by something else, i.e.
    Reality, whereas in speculative philosophy the only thing doing any
    hammering are people.

    I think this now sets the contrasts down right. Good call on the fault
    line. The question for me now is why nominalism, Darwinism, and your
    philosophy are metaphysical _according to the above definitions_.

    Scott:
    I'm afraid I am not sure that I see how that changes things. For example, a
    theologian is engaged in redescription, but behind that is a Reality (God)
    and within it is an acceptance that Reality really is in a certain way that,
    for instance, precludes Darwinism. And for a materialist, Reality really is
    in a certain way that, for instance, precludes life after death. So I do not
    see how either of these beliefs escape the "How do things_really_ hang
    together" formula, or the revised formula "metaphysics tries to get things
    hammered down by something else, i.e. Reality, whereas in speculative
    philosophy the only thing doing any hammering are people".
    Perhaps I need a better example of what counts as a case of Reality pinning
    down a metaphysician's moves. I can see cases where a presumed methodology
    does so, e.g., Descartes trying to be mathematical. This would count as
    someone being metaphysical as a consequence of being foundational. So I can
    see that Whitehead can escape being called metaphysical by this definition,
    in that he is saying: "let's think (in our philosophical moments) in terms
    of process rather than in terms of thingness".

    So, as I see it, a nominalist and Darwinist is a nominalist/Darwinist due to
    a belief about Reality, namely that *there is* a non-linguistic,
    non-conscious reality, for example, in the asteroid belt, or on earth before
    there was life.

    Matt said:
     For
    instance, you commented that you can do metaphysics without the
    correspondence theory of truth, but I have no idea how you would do this,
    partly because I was tailoring the definition of metaphysics to be identical
    with representationalism/foundationalism. If I'm reading you correctly, you
    think we can have foundationalism without representationalism, metaphysics
    without correspondence, but I have no idea how that would be done. Part of
    Rorty's efforts in the last 20 years has been in showing how every attempt
    to keep foundationalism-sans-representationalism intact, like Susan Haack's
    "foundherentism," just devolves into Rortyan pragmatism unless it makes a
    realist, representational move, which is the move I see you trying to make
    with your Peircian claim. (It goes the other way, too, of course. The
    other half of his efforts have been in continuing the attack on
    representationalism-sans-foundationalism, which is all any realist is these
    days. There are very few people who are both since the late seventies,
    early eighties, surrounding the release of books like PMN.)

    Scott:
    The way I do it (or think of doing it -- this is all up in the air at this
    point), is to make representation the foundation, though "representation" no
    longer works since there is no assumed presence to be re-presented. There is
    plenty of correspondence, but it is not a case of language corresponding to
    non-language, rather it is metaphoric/analogical extension of one language
    to allow translation with another, only some of which are human.

    What makes this foundational is that I see certain words as having absolute
    application. Such words are, first of all, 'language', but also 'criteria',
    'pattern', 'language-game', 'reason', 'value', 'abstract', 'context', and so
    forth (plus many synonyms). Now these words as a foundation are anything but
    "clear and distinct", and in fact, as I see it, to talk about them, rather
    than just use them, requires the logic of contradictory identity. But -- and
    here it gets metaphysical -- I assume that all that happens everywhere is
    the same sort of thing: creation happens by the creating of criteria,
    "things happen" is a consequence of contradictory identity, and so forth.

    So where a pragmatist sees pseudo-problems, I see foundation, avoiding
    (maybe) the error of traditional metaphysics of privileging one side of a
    duality over the other. This may mean that I am taking the language of
    metaphilosophy and turning it into metaphysics.

    (I'm going to stop here and get to the rest Real Soon Now),

    - Scott