Re: MD Nihilism (Punk)

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Sun Mar 27 2005 - 02:56:15 BST

    Erin:

    > Platt,
    >
    > I agree a lot of rock-n-roll songs are associated to sex but still can't
    > agree calling "the beat" of rock-n-roll sexual (what is 'the beat' that
    > they ALL share?).

    I refer you to the quotes about the rock beat that I shared in a recent
    post. (See below)

    > Rock-n-roll is more than just the beat--- If it was
    > just "the beat" why bother spending so much money on all the other hoopla
    > to get a sexual message across?

    Nobody every claimed that rock was just the beat.

    > This kind of reminds me the part of ZAMM
    > where Pirsig talks about when people ask why he smokes---there is a
    > difference between controlling the biological level and eliminating it.
    > When I listen to many rock-n-roll songs it might not be high intellecutal
    > activity (other songs like Dylan and Leonard Cohen really make me think so
    > not so quick to agree there) BUT we ALL enjoy biolgoical activities that
    > are not intellectually stimulating . Why pick one as being the root of
    > degenercy in America?

    There are many roots of degeneracy in America. Rock is just one. The
    largest root Pirsig describes in detail in Chapter 24 of Lila -- the
    amorality of SOM..

    > What makes NYC the most dynamic place on earth may have a bit to do with
    > rock-n-roll don't you think?

    You'll have to explain the special connection you see between rock and
    NYC.

    Platt