Re: MD Epigrams on Quality

From: Steve & Oxsana Marquis (marquis@nccn.net)
Date: Fri Apr 01 2005 - 20:58:24 BST

    Scott wrote:
    _______________________

    It actually is an interesting issue. Pirsig consistently capitalizes Dynamic
    but not static, and so MOQ loyalists follow suit in this forum, referring to
    DQ/sq. But as Erin pointed out a while back, this is prima facie evidence
    that the dynamic is being privileged over the static, that the dynamic is
    first-class, and the static is second-class, which provides ammunition for
    Matt to say that the MOQ makes an appearance/reality distinction, and for me
    that the MOQ has fallen off the Buddhist Middle Way that it claims to be on.
    _______________________

    Yes Scott, this points at my concern very well. It seems we are fascinated
    by the Dynamic to such an extent; maybe because its exciting and 'mysterious
    '. To the intellectual its high end, coming after metaphysics, and always a
    challenge to wrestle with because of its ineffability. In short, its fun,
    and I am suspicious of ego attachment. I am reminded of the shallowness of
    most of the New Age stuff as well as the 'rebellion without a cause' in the
    60s in the US against the established social and intellectual patterns of
    value. Also, if we place such importance on the Dynamic such to make it the
    moral high ground, we can disregard any criticism from traditional SOM
    values such as responsibility since there are no intellectual grounds to
    mount such criticism. It does let one off the hook.

    I do not believe Zen intends (or Pirsig) or any other Wisdom Tradition
    intends such unaccountability, that 'anything goes'.

    Consider the much-overused Yin-Yang. Not only is a dot of Yin in the very
    heart of Yang and vice versa (interdependence of opposites), but the area of
    each exactly equals the other (balance). Of all the places to adhere to
    both / and logic rather than either / or logic the balance between static
    and Dynamic is the place. IMO the two are on equal footing and entirely
    interdependent. Quality to me is the optimal balance between the two, which
    itself is a dynamic depending on the moment.

    If we let static = 'mundane' and dynamic = 'esoteric' (immanent, not
    transcendental) for just a moment consider how much of our day-to-day
    activity is concerned with 'mundane' affairs. Almost entirely, if one of us
    posting here is not doing so from a Buddhist retreat. Static patterns of
    quality is what my reason uses to suggest that I not step in front of the
    moving car, and I suggest that if we truly ignore static patterns we will
    not be around long.

    In risk analysis there are two considerations: severity and frequency. It
    may be that the Dynamic is very important for creativity, intuition, and
    even spiritual growth. But frequent 'peak experiences' (to borrow a
    Maslowian term) may not be required for a well-lived life. Pirsig got a lot
    of mileage out of his close brush with insanity. Most of the work (time and
    effort) following was developing static intellectual patterns of value.
    Same with the Buddha. The one critical experience fueled quite a creative
    life after.

    As for frequency, mundane experience wins hands down, and to do well in all
    aspects of life requires attention to mundane affairs. So, it is the
    balance that is important to me. That is what I came here to learn about.

    Live well,
    Steve