RE: MD Shiavo

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sat Apr 02 2005 - 19:03:49 BST

    Richard Loggins said:
    The idea that a 'senseless unpatterned state is a
    valuable state of existence' makes me wonder about
    Terry Shiavo. Whose to say that she was'nt in a
    perfect state of bliss until they pulled the tube and
    killed her. Her brain scans showed mostly a soup of
    fluids but as Pirsig points out in Lila, Quality has
    never been found in the brain. Social and intellectual
    patterns are not a mere extension from the physical,
    but are independant of it. Until the SOM that
    infultrates our laws is superseded by Quality, we will
    have to despair the Quality-less decisions of our
    policital systems. May she be blessed with Quality
    even in death, tho life be better.

    dmb replies:
    Apples and oranges. The "unpatterned state" that results from electro-shock
    therapy can't be compared to Terry's case. Its like the difference between
    erasing a chalk board so that any number of things can be written on it and
    melting down the chalk board so that nothing can ever be written.

    And I think the President and every congress person who participated in
    passing that ridiculously narrow law is guilty of violating their sworn oath
    to protect the constitution. Waht they did is against the law - against the
    nation's highest law. And they will use her case to further attack the law,
    specifically judges who aren't sufficently right-wing. And don't even get me
    started on Tom Delay. The guy belongs in jail. And speaking of prison, if
    these religious fanatics were genuinely interested in promoting a "culture
    of life" they might spend a little more time worrying about the 26 people
    that were tortured to death in our prisons. Or the intelligence failures
    that led to 9/11 and our current unjustified war. I mean, its seems pretty
    clear to me that the current administration has a bit of a death fetish.
    (The neo-con death cult.)

    My family recently went through one of these nightmares. My late, great
    father-in-law was at home on a respirator for nearly a year before he died
    of ALS. As you can imagine, the idea that the US congress could reach down
    into that situation struck horror in us all.