RE: MD home schooling

From: Arlo J. Bensinger (ajb102@psu.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 06 2005 - 13:07:52 BST

    Sam asked:
    > >My wife and I are considering home educating our children, and I was
    > >wondering if there was anyone on the list who had gone down that route
    > >already, or if anyone had particular thoughts on the matter. It would seem to
    be a natural progression in one sense from Pirsig's arguments in ZMM.

    Arlo responds:

    Having long been a supporter of constructivist learning through project-based
    initiatives, integrated curriculae and mentorship programs, I can certainly
    understand the frustration at the majority of classroom environments that
    continue to do little more than encourage passivity and animosity towards
    "learning". But the classrooms do not exist in a vacuum. They are part of
    larger activity systems including parental involvement, social involvement and
    what is erroneously labeled "extra curricular" activities.

    It has been my experience, that the best classroom environs will achieve poor
    results for students whose "school" involvement is removed experientially from
    the rest of their "life". And even the worst classrooms can hardly hold back
    students who have an involved system surrounding their schooling.

    "School" is not just a building where kids go for 8 hours a day, it is the sum
    total of all their learning, before, during and after they enter that building.
    And the "during" phase is likely the least significant, or at least made
    insignificant if the other two phases (before and after) are ignored.

    But, having said that, like I stated upfront, I find much classroom activity to
    be banal, uninteresting, uninspiring and most troubling, fostering only low
    level cognitive skills (procedural knowledge rather than critical (being able
    to analyze and synthesize complex knowledge), or verbal information rather than
    problem solving). What I would recommend to you, is to look into the existance
    of alternative or charter schools in your area. Many are emerging across the
    country, and in general tend to look to project work, mentorship, and
    integrated curriculae. Because these are not "private schools", you pay no
    extra money to enroll your children (they tend to be first come first serve, or
    interview based).

    But most imporantly, as I'm sure you will be, the activity that surrounds your
    childs "school" is what is most critical. Be involved, encourage learning, make
    it relevant, encourge him/her to explore things that interest or excite
    him/her. In short, integrate "school" into the larger activity system of the
    house, her life and her interests, and you will likely face little of trouble
    many parents face.

    I'd caution against home schooling echoing what others have said about
    socialization, the necessary peer formations (with their ups and downs) that
    allow children to develop mature and healthy relationships, and the complexity
    of many subject domains. "Teaching", when done right, is a skill that is beyond
    "what anyone can do". These people have expertise in complicated conceptual
    domain knowledge (or they SHOULD) that would be unavailable to me or to you (it
    was remarked that Goethe was the last person "to know everything", not a
    comment on his genius, but on the fracturing and explosive growth in domain
    knowledge).

    To sum, my advice, look for alternative and/or charter schools (interview THEM,
    talk to them about their pedagogical and instructial practices), find one that
    you believe in, but above all, be involved, be supportive and don't let
    "school" become "that building over there". Like Pirsig pointed out, focus on
    "school" as the Church of Reason, the abstract, ageless body of knowledge and
    learning that exists.

    Arlo