Re: MD Access to Quality

From: Mark Steven Heyman (markheyman@infoproconsulting.com)
Date: Thu Apr 07 2005 - 00:18:51 BST

    Hi Ham,

    This won't be any fun if you continue to be so darned polite. But
    you've shamed me into being less antagonistic.... :-)

    msh:
    > Muslims faithfully believe propositions which directly contradict
    > propositions faithfully believed by Christians. Both claim their
    > beliefs are based on factual religious experiences. Can you not
    see
    > the philosophical problem with faith-based belief systems? THIS is
    > what Pirsig means by patterns of low intellectual quality.

    ham:
    I'm not aware of any "direct contradiction" between theistic belief
    systems;

    msh:
    Christians believe Jesus was the son of God; Jews don't. What could
    be a more direct contradiction? But since you seem to be conceding
    my point...

    ham:
    but you're right that there are differences. Leaving
    Pirsig's "patterns" metaphor aside for the present, I not only
    understand that religion causes problems for philosophers, I posit
    Essentialism as an example of how to accommodate the "spirituality"
    missing in most philosophy.

    msh:
    But why do you feel it's necessary to inject "spirituality" into
    philosophy, that's the question. Whose void other than your own are
    you seeking to fill? Perhaps I misread your tone, but in an earlier
    post you mentioned Bertrand Russell with what seemed to be
    admiration. It's hard to imagine a philosopher less concerned with
    philosophy's misssing "spirituality" than BR, yet he lived a long
    productive life full of spiritually fulfilling political activism.

    ham:
    It does this by offering a plausible ontology in place of pagan-
    derived dogma which is a palliative designed largely to 'control the
    masses'.

    msh says:
    Well, so far, to me, and unlike the "pagan derived dogma," the
    ontology of Essentialism isn't even understandable, so I can't
    arrive at the question of its plausibility. You've mentioned in
    other posts that you'd be willing to expound on your theory of
    Creation. I guess I'll have to wait for that.

     msh asks, in re Ham's Challenge:
    > Why sugar-coat the question with jargon? You are asking whether or
    > not most people would like to believe they are immortal. It should
    > come as no surprise to you that the answer is yes. The primary
    > function of religious belief systems is to facilitate the denial of
    > personal annihilation upon death. If the majority of people were
    > comfortable with the notion of their own mortality, the need for
    > religious dogma would have gone extinct long ago.

    ham:
    May I then note YOUR answer to my challenge as "Yes"?

    msh:
    No. I guess I wasn't clear. To me the idea of returning to nothing
    after a long and useful life brings with it a profound sense of
    peace. If answering Yes to your question means I'll spend eternity
    wrestling with the logical disconnects of people who, say, work
    themselves into a lather over their government's euthanization of a
    single woman while remaining oblivious to that same government's
    policies of exterminating hundreds of thousands of living, vibrant,
    INNOCENT people around the world, well then.... back to the
    beginning of this paragraph...

    ham:
    Did you really mean to say "the primary function of religious belief
    is to facilitate the denial of personal annihilation"? I would say
    the opposite -- that the purpose is to engendor hope for the
    continuance of personal awareness.

    msh:
    That's because, for you, the continuance of your personal awareness
    is of primary importance. For you, and many others apparently, any
    hope, even false hope, is preferable to none at all. For me, every
    second stolen from focusing on the indisputable fact of THIS life,
    THIS here and now, and on how what we do affects the lives of others,
    is a second wasted in egocentric reverie.

    ham:
    msg continues:
    > You value philosophy and you are desperate for religion. This is
    > obvious in your attempt to place religion and philosophy at the
    same
    > intellectual level. You're right in claiming that this craving for
    > personal survival beyond death is at the core of religion; but to
    > suggest that it is at the core of philosophical inquiry is
    > ahistorical nonsense.

    msh:
    I had to laugh at your "msg continues" above. I guess, like
    monosodium glutimate, I have a tendency to put people to sleep. :-)

    anyway, ham continues:
    That's not an unfair characterization, although I cringe at the
    notion that I may be "desperate for religion". I think we, as
    philosophers, have lost sight of our core belief -- what might be
    called a 'credo' in traditional religion. Restoring that core value
    is what Essentialism is all about.

    msh says:
    I addressed this above.

    ham:
    If philosophical inquiry has no core value for the individual, it is
    pointless.

    msh says:
    This only makes sense if you believe value is external and must be
    "attached" to things and ideas, I think we discover and enhance
    our core value through the application of ideas derived from
    philosophical inquiry. Philosophical inquiry is pointless only if we
    make it so.

    ham:
    Incidentally, my cosmology does not support the view that the
    individual *per se* is immortal, which is why I couched my challenge
    question in terms that you called "jargon". It is the valuistic
    Essence of man -- not the individual self -- that survives finite
    existence. I think the word "immortality" may be misleading in this
    respect, and therefore chose not to use it.

    msh says:
    Ok, But you do say "continuance of human awareness." I assume this
    means something more than the breakdown of chemicals into the ground
    and back into the trees and air. In what, other than an individual
    sense, may human awareness be said to continue? Telling me it's the
    "valuistic Essence of man " that survives, is telling me nothing, and
    is what I refer to as jargon.

    msh continued:
    > DMB touched on this earlier, so here's a question for you: Why is
    > it that the folks who find death most fearsome are the same who
    > adamantly believe in Heaven, and their own ballistic acceleration
    > thence? Seems like the transition would be a cherished upgrade,
    no?

    ham:
    Perhaps such folks are lacking a personal philosophy that "makes
    enough sense" to support their cherished core belief. (Does the MoQ
    have that distinction?)

    msh says:
    I don't think so, no. I don't think the MOQ was developed to make
    people feel better about their chances for personal immortality.
    Much of the recent heavy-duty philosophical debate about the MOQ is
    somewhat misguided, IMHO. The debaters seem to be trying to
    establish whether or not the Metaphysics of Quality is "right."
    Pirsig himself said a metaphysics isn't right or wrong, it's merely
    more or less useful in describing reality as we perceive it. For me,
    the usefulness, and uniqueness, of the MOQ derives from its expansion
    of the notion of empircism to include value awareness, right or
    wrong, good or bad, right along with the power of scientific
    observation.

    msh continued:
    > And, since I'm asking questions, is it possible to have a a design
    > without a designer? A creation without a creator? You apparently
    > believe the universe was designed and created, and yet you don't
    > call yourself a theist. How does that work, exactly?

    ham:
    No, I believe a design presupposes a designer; creation presupposes a
    creator. William James asserted that we can't have "truth or
    falsehood" without a physical world. [I'll quote you the passage
    from "Varieties..." if you wish.] These are the extremes of a value
    system, and his statement implies that we cannot have value without a
    primary source of value.

    msh says:
    I certainly agree with the first two sentences above. But I don't
    see how his statement in sentence 2 implies that we cannot have value
    without a primary source of value. Maybe it's the word "primary"
    that bothers me, suggesting as it does a first and independent cause.
     We, every last one of us, are the sole determinants of value. IMO,
    of course.

    ham:
    Concerning the "theist" allegation, I'm still on the fence in the
    sense that it depends on your definition. I do not believe in a
    personal (i.e., existential) anthropomorphic god. I do believe in an
    anthropocentric Essence. Does that make me a theist? You tell me.

    msh says:
    Well, yes. I think you're a theist, I said so the first time we
    swapped emails, and have reiterated several times since. Your theism
    doesn't bother me, though your reluctance to claim it is a little
    annoying. Anyway...

    Since my own awareness of design followed by creation has so far
    ALWAYS involved a human agent, I tend to discount the notion of a
    non-human designer. I mean, I can imagine some non-human being like
    a Clingon designing and building some nifty new battle cruiser And I
    even see that this commonality of creativity, between Humans and
    Clingons, might be well described as anthropocentric Essence. But to
    suggest that this Essence exists independently of Humans and
    Clingons, like some sort of stardust or etherous vapor, that it could
    exist without any human-like agent at all, is, well, to put it
    politely, incomprehensible.

    And this is where jargon comes in, BTW. Jargon is a linguistic
    attempt to disguise incomprehensability.

    Thanks for the thoughtful response.

    Mark Steven Heyman (msh)

    --
    InfoPro Consulting - The Professional Information Processors
    Custom Software Solutions for Windows, PDAs, and the Web Since 1983