Re: MD Access to Quality

From: Mark Steven Heyman (markheyman@infoproconsulting.com)
Date: Thu Apr 07 2005 - 18:12:34 BST

    Hi Ham,

    This is part 2 of 2.

    msh said:
    Well, so far, to me, and unlike the "pagan derived dogma," the
    ontology of Essentialism isn't even understandable, so I can't
    arrive at the question of its plausibility.

    ham:
    It looks as if I've got some work to do. (Maybe I should write a
    novel. ;-)

    msh says:
    No need for a novel. Just explain this idea of psychic continuation,
    the nature of Anthropocentric Essence, and its relationship to your
    Designer/Creator. And try to do so without referring to the
    existence of non-beings. Thanks.

    ham before:
    I would say that the purpose [of religion] is to engender
    hope for the continuance of personal awareness.

    msh:
    That's because, for you, the continuance of your personal awareness
    is of primary importance. For you, and many others apparently, any
    hope, even false hope, is preferable to none at all. For me, every
    second stolen from focusing on the indisputable fact of THIS life,
    THIS here and now, and on how what we do affects the lives of
    others, is a second wasted in egocentric reverie.

    ham:
    I certainly don't deny the value and importance of life. But are we
    giving it full value if we don't know its meaning (or don't believe
    it has any) in the cosmic sense?

    msh says:
    This is confusing. If we don't know life's cosmic meaning then maybe
    there is none. In any case, how does believing something that may
    not be true add value to our lives?

    msh before:
    You're right in claiming that this craving for personal survival
    beyond death is at the core of religion; but to suggest that it is
    at the core of philosophical inquiry is ahistorical nonsense.

    ham:
    Ahistorical nonsense? Do you deny that philosophy is the single,
    most eminently suited discipline in our culture for applying reason,
    logic and sensibility to finding the meaning of life?

    msh says:
    Where did you ever get the idea that finding the "meaning of life" is
    the purpose of Philosophy? Philosophy is about discovering and
    learning to live with truth, and the truth may well be that there is
    no meaning to life other than what we give it. You've apparently
    decided that there is a cosmic meaning to life and have shaped your
    "philosophy" to find it. This is very strange.

    msh before:
    I don't think the MOQ was developed to make
    people feel better about their chances for personal immortality.

    ham:
    Correct. Unfortunately, neither does it address what you and I agree
    is the core issue of religious belief.

    msh:
    So? As above, fulfilling religious needs is NOT the purpose of
    philosophy. I say let religion address the core issue of religious
    belief.

    msh before:
    Pirsig himself said a metaphysics isn't right or wrong, it's merely
    more or less useful in describing reality as we perceive it. For
    me, the usefulness, and uniqueness, of the MOQ derives from its
    expansion of the notion of empircism to include value awareness,
    right or wrong, good or bad, right along with the power of
    scientific observation.

    ham:
    To judge the "correctness" of metaphysics from a scientific viewpoint
    is like judging a piece of music by a printout of its soundwaves.
    The reason we have metaphysics is because physics is too restrictive
    to give us the full picture, and because it cannot deal with human
    values. But it's always going to be hypothetical.

    msh:
    I just finished saying that a metaphysics isn't correct or incorrect.
    Also, you seem to believe that science is separate from metaphysics,
    which is simply wrong. Science has its own metaphysical foundation
    which doesn't allow the detection of right and wrong, good and bad.
    What the MOQ does is EXPAND that foundation, bringing such value
    judgements into the realm of empiricism.

    msh before:
    Since my own awareness of design followed by creation has so far
    ALWAYS involved a human agent, I tend to discount the notion of a
    non-human designer. I mean, I can imagine some non-human being
    like a Clingon designing and building some nifty new battle cruiser
    And I even see that this commonality of creativity, between Humans
    and Clingons, might be well described as anthropocentric Essence.
    But to suggest that this Essence exists independently of Humans and
    Clingons, like some sort of stardust or etherous vapor, that it
    could exist without any human-like agent at all, is, well, to put it
    politely, incomprehensible.

    ham:
    Despite your existentially-bound imagination, you are unwilling to
    accept what might be true on the basis of your inability to
    comprehend the details.

    msh says:
    I suspect all of us are existentially-bound, whether we like it or
    not. Anyway, I am unwilling to believe something for which there is
    no evidence, just because it might be comforting to do so. I can
    suspend judgement. Why is this so difficult for you?

    ham continues:
    Human comprehensibility is an exceedingly limited and dimensionally
    distorted tool for acquiring knowledge.

    msh says:
    What is knowledge without comprehension? How does someone know
    something they don't understand and can't explain? You are using the
    word "know" in a highly idiosyncratic non-philosophical way. In
    fact, you are using it the way religious people use it when they say
    they know God exists. That reveals a lot about your philosophical
    agenda.

    ham:
    I can assure you that you've accepted many concepts in this world as
    true without comprehending the details. Do you fully comprehend the
    biological immunity system, quantum physics, DVD recording...

    msh says:
    But there is plenty of evidence for the existence and operation of
    these systems. Do you have similar evidence for the continuation of
    human awareness after bodily death? Furthermore, if I need to
    understand the details of the systems you mention, I can find
    someone who will explain them, and I WILL understand. Are you
    someone who understands the notion of awareness after death? If so,
    you will be able to explain it to anyone of average intelligence. If
    you don't understand it, can't explain it, but still believe it, then
    your belief is religious not philosophical.

    ham:
    We humans are not privileged to directly access absolute truth; but
    that doesn't mean there isn't any.

    msh says:
    Your first clause is a matter of opinion (faith?), not fact. The
    second is true, but trivial.

    ham:
    A coherent and properly presented metaphysical thesis is not
    "jargon"; it is a scheme or rationale (ontology) for the ineffable
    that is sufficient for conceptual understanding.

    msh says:
    Fair enough. My point is that jargon prevents understanding, and, in
    fact is often used to disguise a lack of understanding. Therefore,
    an author who understands his thesis, and is truly interested in
    explaining it to others, will avoid jargon at all costs. Read "Zen
    and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert Pirsig and you'll
    see what I mean.

    ham
    One may comprehend the Value of such an ontology even if the working
    details are left to its Designer.

    msh says:
    This is a little ambiguous. Are you speaking of yourself as the
    designer of the Essentialist ontology, or of your Designer and
    Creator of the universe? Or are they one and the same? ;-)

    At any rate, if it's the later, you are assuming what you're trying
    to prove.

    Best,
    Mark Steven Heyman (msh)

    --
    InfoPro Consulting - The Professional Information Processors
    Custom Software Solutions for Windows, PDAs, and the Web Since 1983