Re: MD Scientific beliefs and religious faith

From: Sam Norton (elizaphanian@kohath.wanadoo.co.uk)
Date: Tue Apr 12 2005 - 19:27:06 BST

    Hi Arlo,

    I wanted to pick on one element from what you said in the 'access to
    quality' thread.

    > "Evidence" need not be restricted to "physicality", but the key is to look
    > at
    > the possibility of revision built into the system, as Mark argues.
    > "Science" is
    > designed to adapt. Einstein came along, and our understandings have
    > improved.
    > Kant, Pirsig, Hume, Wittgenstein... like 'em or hate 'em, they effected
    > change
    > in the dialogue. In short, as Mark has been arguing, "assumptions" adapt
    > and
    > change. In "religion" the goal is quite different. It is, in fact,
    > designed to
    > oppose revision. The "assumptions" become redefined as "unassailable
    > truth",
    > and dialogue is prevented. Indeed, I don't think you'll find many in the
    > flock
    > willing to call their belief that, say, Moses parted the sea an
    > "assumption".
    > You will find many who call it "undisputable fact".
    > Both "science" and "religion" are, of course, static manifestations, and
    > as such
    > are entrenched (as all static patterns are). But "science" is, as
    > evidenced by
    > its change over even the past decade, much more reactive to DQ. When was
    > the
    > last time "religion" was significantly revised its assumptions?

    I think it is a false claim to say that religion is 'designed to oppose
    revision'. It's just that the barrier for change is set much higher (for
    reasons that we'll be exploring in this thread), in other words, the level
    of emotional investment in a particular set of beliefs is much higher. I
    would say that the main reason why science changes more rapidly than
    religion is that noone cares all that much if the universe is in fact 10
    billion years old rather than 9 billion (for example).

    But the real question is whether there are any possibilities for change
    within a religion (eg Christianity) or whether change is ruled out as such.
    I think it's pretty clear that change is not ruled out as such. The biggest
    recent example would be Vatican 2, which ushered in a huge number of changes
    in the Catholic church (the number of examples from Protestant churches is
    much greater). The threshold needed for a change to be accepted is high, but
    it does exist.

    So, for example, if the christian community came to believe that Jesus was
    not the Son of God, there is a mechanism in place for promulgating that
    decision - exactly the same mechanism that drew up the doctrine in the first
    place. What stops something like that happening isn't - I would say - mostly
    down to repression etc, as it is quite easy to leave the church, it's
    because the Christian community still thinks that it's true, ie it's the
    highest quality explanation that they know of. (or, it's the best looking
    picture hanging in the gallery)

    I sometimes think there is this assumption that the non-religious position
    is of higher quality than the religious one, and therefore any resistance to
    change must be due to malign motives like a repressal of free thought or
    some such. In other words, the idea that a religious perspective _might_ be
    high quality is discounted. I don't believe that that is a true description
    of reality. Not least because I used to believe it myself and then started
    to study the matter in more depth.... :o)

    Regards
    Sam