Re: MD Access to Quality

From: Sam Norton (elizaphanian@kohath.wanadoo.co.uk)
Date: Wed Apr 13 2005 - 13:54:08 BST

    Hi Ham,

    A brief response in this thread:

    > This obsession with empiricism seems to be a hang-up peculiar to Mr.
    > Pirsig
    > and his MOQ defenders. ....
    > Empirical is a term used to distinguish knowledge gained from direct
    > observation or experience [*a postoriori*] from ideas or concepts
    > conceived
    > intuitively [*a priori*].

    I would agree that the concern to make the MoQ 'empirical from head to toe'
    is a mistake. But I am doing some work on justifying precisely how and why,
    so I won't pre-empt that here.

    > The philosophical movement has generally contended that questions having
    > do with the true nature of reality, and the individual's relationship to
    > it,
    > are extremely important and meaningful in terms of human life. The
    > investigation of such questions is therefore considered valid whether or
    > not
    > its results can be verified objectively. I would wish that MOQ's author
    > had
    > devoted more time and effort to these vital issues, and less in trying to
    > convince his readers that his ontologically-deficient thesis is
    > universally
    > "acceptable" to the scientific elitists.

    Pirsig is trying to save value from the scientists. (In just the same way as
    Schleiermacher was trying to save religion from the Kantians..... <duck>)

    Sam