Re: MD Access to Quality

From: Joseph Maurer (jhmau@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Thu Apr 21 2005 - 18:26:41 BST

    On Wednesday 20 April 2005 11:54 AM Ham writes to Ian:

    Hi Ham, Ian and all,

    > snip>
    > Although most of us have reservations about religious doctrine as a source
    > of knowledge, there should be no need to attack either a spiritualistic
    > belief or a particular religion on rational grounds. Religion has nothing
    > to do with rationalism. (I'm told that the name stems from the Greek word
    > "religio", meaning "to bind"; so it's not surprising that religious
    > leaders
    > seek to perpetuate their faith by holding believers to traditional
    > ecclesiastical dogma and symbolism.) Eastern mysticism, shorn of its
    > folklore and rituals, is something else again; to me, its most valuable
    > teaching is the Oneness of the universe.
    >snip>

    "Religion has nothing to do with rationalism." I do not agree. I accept that
    Thomas Aquinas drew a distinction between Faith and reason. Through history
    there has been an oddity on this planet: individuals of the highest evolved
    species kill each other on a massive scale. IMO this defeats continued
    evolution by destroying many fine things that had already been achieved.
    Some very fine people have tried to elucidate ways of behavior that would
    eliminate this problem e.g., Buddha, Moses, Astrology from India and Greece,
    Jesus, Mohammed, Lama are the most recognized.

    IMO the etymology of the word 'religion' according to Thomas Aquinas has two
    branches from Latin words: re-legere to read again, or re-ligare to bind
    again. In either case whether binding or reading again, there is the
    assumption that the former script has been somewhat corrupted.

    Joe