RE: MD Access to Quality

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sat Apr 23 2005 - 21:22:28 BST

    Scott and all:

    Scott said:
    I agree with what you say about Bin Ladin and Pat Robertson, but to extend
    that to theism in general is a mark of prejudicial thinking. Christianity
    has been promoting intellect since the beginning (who preserved Classical
    learning? -- the monks, those who felt the need to escape society).

    "Sin is an offense against reason, truth, and right conscience" -- paragraph
    1849 of the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

    I find the MOQ, with its glorification of the "pre-intellectual", and its
    anti-theism (not just non-theism) to be more anti-intellectual than
    contemporary, non-fundamentalist theism.

    Oh yes, and I'm still waiting for an example where science and contemporary,
    non-fundamentalist theism are in conflict. As I've said before, you're about
    50 to 100 years out of date.

    dmb says:
    I really don't know what you mean. What is "contemporary non-fundametalist
    theism"? How is the dogma of Catholic church NOT in conflict with science
    when it asserts such things as miracles? How is it NOT unreasonable to
    believe that bread and wine are transformed into the body and blood of
    Christ. How about the virgin birth? The ressurection? I can see that Sam has
    tried to make such things seems reasonable, but I just don't get it. And
    your response here is so very thin that it literally means nothing to me.

    Please explain.