Re: MD Hurricanes, earthquakes and genocide

From: Mark Steven Heyman (MarkHeyman@infoproconsulting.com)
Date: Mon Apr 25 2005 - 03:44:58 BST

    Hi David,

    Hope you get this before you disappear for the work week.

    On 24 Apr 2005 at 12:32, David Buchanan wrote:

    dmb had said to Ham:
    ...........Do you not see how murderous the reactionaries have been for the
    last several hundred years? Do you not see that the Hitlers, the Stalins,
    the Bin Ladins and the Pat Robersons of the world are extremely destructive?
    The one thing these wildly different characters all have in common is an
    anti-intellectual, anti-Modern stance at the heart of it all. So I'm saying
    that one of Pirsig's BEST moves is to make a distinction between the social
    and intellectual levels. Its a tool that allows us to sort out all kinds of
    issues.

    Mark said to Arlo:
    Just want to say I appreciate your recent posts in response to Platt.
     I believe your analysis is right on, and would add only that when we
    focus on the left-right, lib-con, theist-atheist splits as the cause
    of social problems, we are playing into the hands of entrenched
    power. As you've suggested, real power wielded by elite minorities
    feeds the flames of these red-herring dichotomies. The reason is
    obvious: Every second we spend focused on false causes is time taken
    from useful analysis and action against the real problem.

    dmb says:
    I appreciate it too. In terms of political perspective, I think both of you
    guys (Arlo and Mark) are "spot on", as the Brits like to put it. But having
    said that, I'd have to disagree a little bit too. First of all I would like
    to point out that putting Pat Robertson in the same category with Hitler and
    Stalin was not meant to imply that christian fundametalists are busy
    building their own concentration camps or gulags. I mean, if I had said that
    Pat Robertson was a genocidal maniac you would be right to dismiss me as a
    dude with no sense of perspective or proportion. Please notice the phrase
    "wildly different characters" in my description.

    msh:
    Actually, I think you're not all that wrong to put Robertson in the
    same neighborhood with the REALLY bad guys, the list of whom I notice
    is lacking the names of several well-qualified American presidents
    and their henchmen. Though Robertson has relatively little power,
    the enslavement of similar minds is the first step toward the
    elimination of minds not similar. It's not as big a jump as one
    might at first imagine.

    dmb:
    Secondly, for the most part I agree that "entrenched power" uses the culture
    war and hot-button issues to divide and conquer. But I have to disagree here
    a little bit too. Or rather, I think that there is something quite real
    underneath these debates, behind those "red-herring dichotomies".

    msh:
    Yes, in reading what I wrote above, I give the impression that I
    think the dichotomies are illusions or something, and this is wrong.
    The dichotomies are real, but, unless one side or the other has real
    power, the schism is nothing more than sibling bickering. It's
    office politics, you know, small minds whispering round the water
    cooler. Nothing much happens until power starts taking sides, until
    the guy who hires and fires starts internalizing the gossip. Or
    until the guy with power sees that office politics provides the
    perfect distraction while he cleans out the safe. It's highly useful
    for the neocons (our currently entrenched Power) to have the
    Christians hate the Muslims while the Muslims hate the Jews while the
    Jews hate the Muslims. Hatred fuels violence, and violence builds
    empires. It is a simple, and as horrifying, as that.

    dmb:
    Basically, I think most of it is driven by an evolutionary struggle, one described
    quite well in LILA. The intellectual and social levels are at war and this
    is what I like to try to show you, gents. I have posted on this issue many,
    many times and so I was a little frustrated that it seemed to go past you,
    but then it occured to me that most of that work was done here before you
    guys arrived here.

    msh says:
    But struggles of any kind occur only where Power is facing off. I'm
    looking forward to exploring this idea of an evolutionary struggle
    between the intellectual and social levels, but we will never
    understand the nature of that confrontation until we recognize that
    it too is a struggle for power.

    But, to get us started, let's focus on what facet of of the
    struggle. It's quite clear to me that anti-intellectualism is as
    prevalent now as it was in Nazi Germany. College professors are not
    being killed, yet, but we are seeing an undeniable effort to silence
    them and that, my friends, is the beginning.

    Dmb, thanks for the LILA references; I'll reread them during the
    week. And let's see if we can give this thread some legs. Arlo?

    Best,
    Mark Steven Heyman (msh)
    --
    InfoPro Consulting - The Professional Information Processors
    Custom Software Solutions for Windows, PDAs, and the Web Since 1983

    "Thought is only a flash between two long nights, but this flash is everything." --
    Henri Poincare'