Re: MD Hume, Paley and Intelligent Design

From: Mark Steven Heyman (MarkHeyman@infoproconsulting.com)
Date: Wed Apr 27 2005 - 02:37:31 BST

    On 26 Apr 2005 at 11:34, Platt Holden wrote:

    "Dharma is Quality itself, the principle of 'rightness' which gives
    structure and purpose to the evolution of all life and to the evolving
    understanding of the universe which life has created." (Lila, 30)

    msh says:
    I see no mention here of a supernatural designer and creator. Do
    you?

    platt continues?
    Pirsig's conclusion fits nicely with the view of physicist Paul Davies
    regarding intelligent design::

    "The universe looks as if it is unfolding according to some plan or
    blueprint. The input is the cosmic initial conditions, and the output is
    organized complexity, or depth. The essential feature is that something of
    value emerges as the result of processing according to some ingenious pre-
    existing rules. The rules look as if they are the product of intelligent
    design. My own inclination is to suppose that qualities such as ingenuity,
    economy, beauty and so on have a genuine transcendent reality -- they are
    not merely the product of human experience -- and that these qualities are
    reflected in the structure of the natural world."

    msh says:
    I think Davies is well aware of the difference between the appearance
    of design, and the existence of a supernatural designer. What we
    perceive to be design may very well be us looking at the back of our
    own heads, as if we were to gaze long enough through a telescope
    powerful enough to circumnavigate the curvature of space. (Didn't
    RMP say something like this in ZMM?)

    And isn't Davies the guy you were mocking a few posts ago, when I
    pointed out that he clearly believes that the Big Bang requires no
    supernatural explanation?

    platt:
    Principles, values, and plans all suggest that consciousness, not matter,
    is foundational, a concept science is forbidden to accept because of its
    blind faith in natural causes.

    msh says:
    Principles, values, plans, suggest no such thing. Some human beings
    see that they themselves have principles, values, plans, and
    consciousness, and therefore project these qualities onto the
    universe. For some, this is just more comforting than saying "I
    don't know." This is a very old story.

    And exactly how is science "forbidden" to accept or reject any idea?
    Michael Behe is a scientist, and his rendition of the design argument
    is a logical argument backed by scientific evidence. But because it
    has not held up to scientific investigation, it is making no headway
    in scientific circles. No one has forbidden science to consider it;
    and no one could even if they wanted to.

    People with religious beliefs have a problem with science only when
    they claim their beliefs have a scientific basis. I've never been
    able to understand why it is they so desperately crave science's
    stamp of approval, since they have so little respect for the
    scientific method.

    Best,
    Mark Steven Heyman (msh)
    --
    InfoPro Consulting - The Professional Information Processors
    Custom Software Solutions for Windows, PDAs, and the Web Since 1983

    "Thought is only a flash between two long nights, but this flash is everything." --
    Henri Poincare'