Re: MD Hume, Paley and Intelligent Design

From: Arlo J. Bensinger (ajb102@psu.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 29 2005 - 04:33:47 BST

    Platt,

    > > Rephrased: Is Quality a Conscious Designer?
    >
    > No. Quality is an aesthetic psychic force. ("psychic" defined as lying
    > outside the sphere of physical science or knowledge: immaterial, moral, or
    spiritual in origin). The Quality force, transcendent yet immanent,
    > created and continues to create the world of objects as a result of its
    > teleological thrust towards betterness. This force exhibits design because the
    initial state and the laws of the universe together are well formed to
    actualize the states of value of our experience.

    I like this answer... but where does the "conscious designer" of ID fit in?
    Also, I truly do not understand your last point: "This force exhibits... to
    actualize the states of value of our experience." Could you explain this?

    > Of course, this is an SOM description of Quality which, being prior to
    > thought, cannot be described except metaphorically.

    Of course. :-)

    > How would you describe Quality? As "cultural semiosis?"

    No. "Cultural semiosis", as I thought I had mentioned in my reply to Ham, is the
    process of appropriating static filters that make salient social value
    patterns, out of which emerges "intellect".

    Quality is best described, as you suggest, metaphorically as a "force". Semiosis
    holds that we do not experience this force "tabula rasa" (as would an amoeba or
    quartz crystal) but via contextual patterns that have been formed and passed
    down to use, culturally and historically, and solidified into particular
    symbolic representae.

    These patterns are a culture's (or society's) accumulated historical responses
    to Quality.

    Am I making things clearer, or more muddled?

    At any rate, short of the last sentance that I can't understand, I could do
    little better than what you've offered.

    Arlo