Re[2]: MD Probably Silly Questions..

From: Mark (mark@antelope.nildram.co.uk)
Date: Mon May 09 2005 - 23:17:25 BST

    Hello ian,

    Monday, May 9, 2005, 8:44:19 AM, you wrote:

    ig> Mark, I certainly do not believe you have the wrong end of any stick there.

    My real bother about the understanding I've developed - and I add
    again that I'm in no way sure that it's correct - is that it makes the
    MOQ a profoundly depressing, disempowering, hopeless viewpoint. I
    presume that the MOQ doesn't apply to forms of quality which are
    already directly understood, such as the "quality" of a
    multiple-choice exam answer sheet as calculated by comparing given
    answers with a set of predetermined correct ones.

    So the implication would be that it's necessary to nail down the
    "quality" of things into concrete physical terms and, if you can't do
    so, then the quality is dissociated from anything that you can affect
    and all you can do is hope. So for instance, you can study for your
    multiple-choice exam, but there's no point practicing writing essays
    or music - that's metaphysical quality, so no matter how you practice,
    it's beyond your powers to exert even a slight influence on the
    quality of the output!

    I really, really, hope I'm wrong... (errr)

    --
    Best regards,
     Mark                            mailto:mark@antelope.nildram.co.uk