Re: MD the ideology of capitalism - the Ayn Rand question

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Tue May 10 2005 - 23:00:39 BST

    Hi Arlo,

    > [Platt wrote]
    > > You obviously forgot or never realized that all the goods ever produced
    > > and
    > all the wealth ever created that makes it possible for governments to build
    > libraries and museums and pay firemen and policemen comes from the minds of
    > individuals orchestrating productive work.
    >
    > [Arlo]
    > This ignores the emergent relationship between the individual and the
    > society. As each "generation" of individuals produce "wealth", they do so
    > bootstrapped by the social infrastructure left by the previous generation.
    > Then that generation strengthen the social infrastructure for the future
    > generation.
    >
    > Thus, our "libraries" allow present and future generations to "build more
    > wealth" than the generations prior. To imply (or state outright) that the
    > social infrastructure is merely a product of individuals, and has not
    > dialectical relationship with them, is merely the fabrication of "the
    > individual apart from society". He/She does not exist.

    I agree. I don't see how what I said contradicts what you point out. I
    never claimed that you or I or any other person exists apart from the
    social, biological, society, biology, or inorganic levels. As individuals
    we comprise all levels, plus the ability to respond to DQ. That doesn't
    preclude our being self-reliant people who earn their own way as producers
    instead of sponging off others.

    Platt